How to convert an alternating sum into a positive sum?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving two sums involving alternating series and their relationship to the value of ##\pi^2##. The first sum is proven by setting ##x=0## and the second sum is proven by setting ##x=L##. The conversation also mentions using a value of ##x## and ##L## that make the cosine equal to ##(-1)^n##.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Given that ##FS f(x)=\frac{L^2}{3}+(\frac{2L}{\pi})^2⋅\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)##, prove that ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{12}## and ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}##.

Homework Equations

##FS f(x) = f(x) = x^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting ##x=0##, we have here ##f(0)=0## and ##FS f(x)=\frac{L^2}{3}+(\frac{2L}{\pi})^2⋅\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}=0##. Now we have ##-\frac{L^2}{3}=\frac{4L^2}{\pi^2}⋅\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}##, so ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}=-\frac{\pi^2}{12}##, or ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{12}##.

I basically got the first half. I took Calculus II over a year ago, and cannot exactly remember how to do this. Either that, or I would prove that the value of ##\frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{24}## and add two of that to the first part of the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Choose values of ##x## and ##L## so that the cosine is equal to ##(-1)^n##.

Oh, so set ##x=L##. Thanks!

Related to How to convert an alternating sum into a positive sum?

1. How do I convert an alternating sum into a positive sum?

To convert an alternating sum into a positive sum, you need to change the signs of the terms in the sum. If the sum starts with a positive term, change all the following terms to negative and if the sum starts with a negative term, change all the following terms to positive. Then, simply add all the terms together to get the positive sum.

2. What is an alternating sum?

An alternating sum is a mathematical expression that involves adding and subtracting terms that alternate in sign. For example, 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 would be considered an alternating sum.

3. Why would I want to convert an alternating sum into a positive sum?

Converting an alternating sum into a positive sum can make it easier to work with in certain situations. For example, it may be easier to compare or combine multiple alternating sums when they are all positive.

4. Can I use any method to convert an alternating sum into a positive sum?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to convert an alternating sum into a positive sum. One common method is to change the signs of the terms as described in the answer to the first question. Another method is to group the terms in pairs and use the distributive property to simplify the expression.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should convert the signs of the terms in an alternating sum?

No, there is no specific order in which you must convert the signs of the terms in an alternating sum. As long as the signs alternate, the resulting sum will be the same. However, it is important to be consistent in the method you choose to avoid errors or confusion.