How to calculate volume and thickness of aluminum?

In summary, to find the volume and thickness of a sheet of aluminum, you will need to use the formula Density = mass/volume and the formula Volume = length * width * height. You can rearrange the density formula to solve for volume and then use the volume formula to find the thickness of the sheet. The density of aluminum will be relevant in this calculation.
Mari
I have a sheet of aluminum that has a mass of 0.69g, length of 10.2cm and width of 7.5cm. I need to find the volume in cm3 and the thickness in cm. What is the formula to do this? The density of aluminum is 2.699 g/cm3...do I need to use that in the formula or is that irrelevant when calculating volume and thickness? I am returning to school after 6 years and am confused beyond belief so any help will be greatly appreciated. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, which is the formula for density? Find it and that may answer your question. :smile:

Remember,
Density = mass / volume

You know the density of Aluminum and you know the piece of Aluminum's mass, therefore you should be able to re-write the density equation in such a way to solve for volume.

Imagine the square of Aluminum foil as a very thin "block" of Aluminum.
How do you calculate the volume of a block (rectangular solid)?
Volume = length * width * height
or in other words,
Volume = surface area of one side * height
In this case you know the length and width of the foil and you should already know the foils volume from the previous part of the question, from this you can find the foils thickness/height.

Related to How to calculate volume and thickness of aluminum?

1. How do I calculate the volume of aluminum?

To calculate the volume of aluminum, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the aluminum object in either centimeters (cm) or meters (m). Once you have these measurements, multiply them together to get the volume in cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic meters (m^3).

2. What formula do I use to calculate the volume of aluminum?

The formula for calculating the volume of aluminum is V = l x w x h, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the aluminum object. This formula applies to both rectangular and cylindrical shapes.

3. How do I calculate the thickness of aluminum?

The thickness of aluminum can be calculated by dividing the volume of the aluminum object by its surface area. The surface area can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the object. The resulting value will be the thickness of the aluminum in either centimeters (cm) or meters (m).

4. What is the unit of measurement for aluminum volume and thickness?

The unit of measurement for aluminum volume is cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic meters (m^3). The unit of measurement for aluminum thickness is centimeters (cm) or meters (m), depending on the size of the object.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume and thickness of any aluminum object?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume and thickness of aluminum is the same for any aluminum object, regardless of its shape or size. However, the measurements (length, width, and height) must be accurate for an accurate calculation.