How to calculate voltage drop

In summary: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.1kΩ3.1kΩetc.
Alex Hughes
So I have two formulas for calculating voltage drop. The first is: Vdrop = Vin * R1 / ( R1 + R2...). This let's me calculate the voltage drop on the first resistor in a series of 2 resistors. You can also extend this to more resistors in series just by summing all the resistors. However, I do not find this useful in designing circuits because there is nothing to tell me what resistors to use. You sort of have to just keep plugging values in until you get the voltage drop you want. The second is: R2 = Vout * R1 / (Vin - Vout). This formula is more helpful to me because it allows me to calculate what resistor I would need (R2) to put in series with another resistor (R1) in order to achieve a certain voltage drop (Vout) if I have a given voltage from the source (Vin). The problem with this formula is I don't know how to manipulate it to allow me to calculate what resistors I would need to have for circuits where I would need more than 2 resistors in series. For example, if I had a 12v battery, and I wanted to drop the voltage to 8V, then 6V, then 3V, then 0. How would I calculate what resistors I would need to put in series to achieve this without just plugging in random resistors. Does anybody know a formula/method I can use? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to study simple series and parallel circuits. They are quite simple and you are making more of the problem than is necessary.

Likes Averagesupernova and davenn
You should look up Voltage Divider on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

That is the kind of circuit you are describing.

You're missing one key bit of data and that is the total resistance you want. A high resistance level doesn't load the batter much but can't take much current, and a low resistance is the opposite. It's a trade off.

Once you know the total resistance, you have x equations and x unknowns and you can calculate all the resistance values.

Likes dlgoff
Alex Hughes said:
For example, if I had a 12v battery, and I wanted to drop the voltage to 8V, then 6V, then 3V, then 0. How would I calculate what resistors I would need to put in series to achieve this without just plugging in random resistors. Does anybody know a formula/method I can use? Thanks.
You must choose a current through all the resistors in series. The currents are the same, you know.
Let's say you choose 2A, then the resistor values will be:

1. (12V - 8V) / 2A = 2Ω
2. (8V - 6V) / 2A = 1Ω
and so on.

But other values can be used. Say that you choose a current = 2mA, the values will be:

1. 2kΩ
2. 1kΩ
3. . . . . . . .

Likes Alex Hughes

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a conductor due to its resistance. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). The formula is V = IR.

3. What factors affect voltage drop?

The main factors that affect voltage drop are the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor, the type of material the conductor is made of, and the amount of current flowing through the conductor.

4. Why is voltage drop important?

Voltage drop is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of an electrical system. Excessive voltage drop can lead to equipment overheating, power loss, and even equipment failure.

5. How can voltage drop be minimized?

Voltage drop can be minimized by using thicker or shorter conductors, choosing materials with lower resistance, and reducing the amount of current flowing through the system. Proper installation and maintenance of electrical systems can also help minimize voltage drop.