How to Calculate Uncertainty for Spin-1/2 Eigenstates?

In summary, the problem involves calculating ΔSx and ΔSy for an eigenstate S^z of a spin-1/2 particle and checking if the uncertainty relation ΔSxΔSy ≥ ħ|<Sz>|/2 is satisfied. The relevant equations are ΔS = √(<S2> - <S>2) and <Sx2> = ħ2/4 = <Sy2> = <Sz2>. Further steps involve working out <S> and reviewing what is meant by "spin half". It would be helpful to write out the matrix and column vector representations of the spin operators and eigenstates for this problem.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

Calculate ΔSx and ΔSy for an eigenstate S^z for a spin-1/2 particle. Check to see if the uncertainty relation ΔSxΔSy ≥ ħ|<Sz>|/2 is satisfied.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused on where to start. As I am with most of this quantum stuff.
From what we've done earlier in the class...
ΔS = √(<S2> - <S>2)

and i believe that <Sx2> = ħ2/4 = <Sy2> = <Sz2>

but i don't know where I'm supposed to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out <S> now.
Review what is meant by "spin half".

Related to How to Calculate Uncertainty for Spin-1/2 Eigenstates?

1. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state of a quantum system in which a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, has a definite value. It is represented by a wave function that is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.

2. Why is uncertainty important for an eigenstate?

Uncertainty is important for an eigenstate because it allows us to understand the limitations of our knowledge about the state of a quantum system. Even in an eigenstate, there is a degree of uncertainty in the measurement of physical quantities.

3. How is uncertainty calculated for an eigenstate?

The uncertainty for an eigenstate is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in the measurement of position and momentum must be greater than or equal to a constant value (equal to Planck's constant divided by 4π).

4. Can the uncertainty of an eigenstate be reduced?

No, the uncertainty of an eigenstate cannot be reduced. This is a fundamental limitation of quantum mechanics and is a consequence of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Even with perfect measurements, there will always be a degree of uncertainty in the measurement of physical quantities in an eigenstate.

5. How does the uncertainty of an eigenstate differ from that of a non-eigenstate?

The uncertainty of an eigenstate is different from that of a non-eigenstate because in an eigenstate, the measurement of a physical quantity will always yield a definite value. In a non-eigenstate, the measurement of a physical quantity will yield a range of possible values, and the uncertainty is the measure of this range.