How to calculate turning radius of a car w.r.t speed?

In summary, the equation for calculating the turning radius of a car with respect to speed or track length involves factors such as lateral acceleration, coefficient of static friction, and the angle of the track. The book "Race car vehicle dynamics" by Milliken and Milliken can provide a better understanding of the physics involved in this equation. However, it is important to consider and discuss the factors involved rather than just providing the answer.
Mohammad Tayyeb
I want to know the equation by which we can calculate the turing radius of a car with respect to speed or track length as I am designing a racing track for my thesis project.
Regards,
M.Tayyeb

Physics news on Phys.org
What factors do you think might be involved in such an equation?

that is what i really want to know ...that how we can calculate the turning radius of a car. As per standard 25' (feet) is a standard but in sports it will change with respect to speed. But i didnt know the formula or equation by which we can easily determined the turning radius...

Mohammad Tayyeb said:
that is what i really want to know ...that how we can calculate the turning radius of a car. As per standard 25' (feet) is a standard but in sports it will change with respect to speed. But i didnt know the formula or equation by which we can easily determined the turning radius...
What factors do you think might be involved in such an equation?

Lateral acceleration is V^2/R.
Now you have to decide on an appropriate value for lateral acceleration, and unless you make quite a few simplifying assumptions it can all become exceedingly complex.
Have a look at "Race car vehicle dynamics" by Milliken and Milliken to get a better understanding of the physics involved in this question.

Cheers,
Terry

friction is the factor that you'll need to consider.
so, the equation would be:
ug=v^2/r, where u is the coefficient of static friction between the track and tires. If the track is at an angle, the equation will be slightly different.

drragonx said:
friction is the factor that you'll need to consider.
so, the equation would be:
ug=v^2/r, where u is the coefficient of static friction between the track and tires. If the track is at an angle, the equation will be slightly different.

Yes, but...

Be aware that we generally discourage just blurting out the answer. The thread is more valuable to everyone reading it now and in the future if you give the original poster a chance to think through and respond to the follow-up questions.

Related to How to calculate turning radius of a car w.r.t speed?

1. How does speed affect the turning radius of a car?

The higher the speed of a car, the larger the turning radius will be. This is because at higher speeds, the car will have more inertia and will require a larger radius to complete the turn without losing control or skidding.

2. What factors besides speed impact the turning radius of a car?

In addition to speed, the turning radius of a car is also affected by the weight, size, and type of tires of the car. A heavier car with larger tires will typically have a larger turning radius compared to a lighter car with smaller tires.

3. How do you calculate the turning radius of a car?

The turning radius of a car can be calculated by dividing the wheelbase (the distance between the front and rear axles) by the sine of the steering angle. The resulting value will be the turning radius in feet or meters, depending on the unit of measurement used for the wheelbase.

4. Can the turning radius of a car be improved?

Yes, the turning radius of a car can be improved by adjusting the steering mechanism or by using specialized steering systems such as four-wheel steering. However, these modifications may also affect the stability and handling of the car, so it is important to consult a professional before making any changes.

5. How does the turning radius of a car impact its maneuverability?

The turning radius of a car directly affects its maneuverability. A smaller turning radius allows the car to make sharper turns and navigate through tight spaces, while a larger turning radius may make it more difficult to maneuver in certain situations.