How to calculate this angular velocity problem

In summary, a turntable with a mass of 2.3kg and a diameter of 20cm rotates at 100 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 500g blocks fall and stick to the turntable simultaneously, with one at each end of the diagonal. The angular velocity of the turntable just after this event can be calculated using the formula I*w = I*w, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. The new moment of inertia after the blocks stick to the turntable can be calculated using the formula (1/2)*M*R^2, where M is the mass and R is the distance from the center of rotation. However, this formula only applies to the turntable and not
karzy
A 2.3kg , 20-cm-diameter turntable rotates at 100 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 500g blocks fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of a diagonal, and stick.
What is the turntable's angular velocity, in rpm, just after this event?I first cacluted the angular momentum as .120428 using I*W so I then set that equal to I*W where I=.5(3.3)(.1)^2
and w is 2pi(frequency) and tried solving for frequency. and converting that back to rpm. But 69.7 rpm wasn't correct so I'm missing something or approaching this wrong!

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the new moment of inertial after the blocks stick to the turntable?

Chet

i used the formula (1/2)(M)R^2 which I used 3.3 for the mass and .1 for the R which gave me .0165.

karzy said:
i used the formula (1/2)(M)R^2 which I used 3.3 for the mass and .1 for the R which gave me .0165.
This formula applies to the disk, but not to the blocks. The blocks are at the outside radius, so their contributions to the moment of inertial (per unit mass) are greater. Do you know the formula for the moment of inertial of a mass at a distance r from the center of rotation?

Chet

I=MR^2 where m is the mass and r is distance from the center?

Ahhh i just got it! I needed to add the three Ineritas together then solve for the velocity.Thanks for the help!

Related to How to calculate this angular velocity problem

1. What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is the measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object with respect to time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

2. How do I convert angular velocity from radians per second to revolutions per minute?

To convert from radians per second to revolutions per minute, multiply the angular velocity in radians per second by 60 and then divide by 2π.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate angular velocity for any object?

Yes, the formula for calculating angular velocity (ω = Δθ/Δt) can be used for any rotating object, as long as the units for angular displacement and time are consistent.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity describes the speed at which an object is rotating, while linear velocity describes the speed at which an object is moving in a straight line.

5. How do I use angular velocity to calculate the period of rotation?

To calculate the period of rotation, divide the time it takes for one complete rotation (in seconds) by the number of rotations completed in that time. Alternatively, the period can be calculated by dividing 2π by the angular velocity (T = 2π/ω).