How to Calculate the Mass of the Left Block in a Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of a block on the left side of a pulley system after a 100 kg block is released from rest from a height of 1.0 m and takes 0.90 s to reach the floor. The attempt at a solution involves finding the acceleration of the system, using Newton's second law to find the tension in the rope, and then using this tension and the acceleration to solve for the mass of the block on the left. However, it is mentioned that there may be some confusion regarding the tension in the rope and it is suggested to translate the vertical forces to horizontal ones for easier understanding.
oneamp

Homework Statement

The figure shows a 100 kg block being released from rest from a height of 1.0 m. It then takes 0.90 s to reach the floor. What is the mass of the block on the left?

Illustration shows a pulley connected to the ceiling, with a block of 100 kg on the right, and a block of unknown mass on the left.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this to find acceleration of the system:
0 = 1 + (0.5)(a) [(0.90)^2]
a = (-2.5) m/s^2

I drew a diagram. F_G on the bottom, 100 * 9.8 = 980N down.

F = ma so (100)(2.5) = 250, and that must mean that the vector pointing up in my diagram will be 730N (980 - 250 = 750).

So, the 750 comes from the other block. F = ma again, solve for m I get 292 kg, which is not the right answer.

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
oneamp said:

Homework Statement

The figure shows a 100 kg block being released from rest from a height of 1.0 m. It then takes 0.90 s to reach the floor. What is the mass of the block on the left?

Illustration shows a pulley connected to the ceiling, with a block of 100 kg on the right, and a block of unknown mass on the left.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this to find acceleration of the system:
0 = 1 + (0.5)(a) [(0.90)^2]
a = (-2.5) m/s^2

I drew a diagram. F_G on the bottom, 100 * 9.8 = 980N down.

F = ma so (100)(2.5) = 250, and that must mean that the vector pointing up in my diagram will be 730N (980 - 250 = 750).
Up to here is (almost) OK.
You found the tension in the rope. It is not clear if it's 730N or 750N (it depends on taking g=9.8 or 10 m/s^2).

oneamp said:
So, the 750 comes from the other block. F = ma again, solve for m I get 292 kg, which is not the right answer.

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you
Now write Newton's second law for the other block. You know the tension in the rope and the acceleration (same as for the first block).

The way I deal with Atwood problems is to first translate the vertical forces to horizontal ones, it makes it easier for me to deal with the forces involved, and gets rid of the confusion of having the pulley. Here's a picture of what I mean. Try applying Newton's Laws to the system on the right.

Attachments

• grr.jpg
    grr.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,499
Thank you :)

for your response. I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations that are relevant to the situation. In this case, we have a block of mass 100 kg being released from rest, a pulley, and another block of unknown mass on the left side. We can use the equation F=ma to determine the acceleration of the system, which we know is -2.5 m/s^2 based on the given information.

Next, we can use the equation v=at to find the final velocity of the 100 kg block after it falls 1.0 m. Plugging in the values, we get v=at= (-2.5 m/s^2)(0.90 s) = -2.25 m/s. We can then use this velocity to find the tension in the rope using the equation F=ma, where F is the tension and m is the mass of the block. We know that the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the block on the left side, so we can set up the equation 980N = 100 kg * (-2.25 m/s^2) and solve for the mass of the block on the left, which comes out to be 43.56 kg.

It seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculation for the tension in the rope, which led to an incorrect mass for the block on the left. Remember that tension is equal to the weight of the block on the left, not the difference between the weight of the block on the right and the force of gravity acting on the block on the right. I hope this helps clarify the problem and leads you to the correct solution.

Related to How to Calculate the Mass of the Left Block in a Pulley System?

What is the concept of "Two blocks over a pulley"?

The concept of "Two blocks over a pulley" is a physics problem that involves two blocks connected by a rope or string, with one block hanging over a pulley. The blocks are typically of different masses and are connected by a rope that passes over a pulley. This setup creates a system of forces and allows for the study of concepts such as tension, acceleration, and friction.

What is the purpose of using a pulley in this setup?

The pulley is used in this setup to change the direction of the force being applied to the blocks. As the rope passes over the pulley, the force is redirected, allowing for the study of forces acting in different directions.

What are some real-life applications of "Two blocks over a pulley"?

The concept of "Two blocks over a pulley" can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as elevators, cranes, and even simple machines like a well bucket. In all of these cases, the use of a pulley helps to reduce the amount of force needed to lift heavy objects.

How is the tension in the rope affected by the masses of the two blocks?

The tension in the rope is directly affected by the masses of the two blocks. As the mass of one block increases, the tension in the rope will also increase. This is because the force required to lift the heavier block is greater, thus increasing the tension in the rope.

What factors can affect the acceleration of the two blocks?

The acceleration of the two blocks can be affected by various factors, including the masses of the blocks, the force applied to the system, and the presence of friction. The smaller the difference in mass between the two blocks, the greater the acceleration will be. Similarly, a larger force applied to the system will result in a greater acceleration. Friction, on the other hand, can slow down the acceleration of the blocks and must be taken into account when studying this concept.