How to Calculate the Length of a Capillary Tube for a Drip-Irrigation Emitter

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the required length of a drip-irrigation emitter's capillary tube to produce a dripping rate of 2 liters per hour, with a given water pressure and tube diameter. One of the participants suggests using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, but the other participant is not familiar with it and suggests looking it up.
maxnormal

Homework Statement

A drip-irrigation emitter constructed of a coiled capillary tube is inserted into the wall of a drip irrigation line with a constant water pressure of 5 psi. Compute the required length of the emitter’s capillary tube to produce an emitter dripping rate of 2 litres per hour if the capillary tube diameter is 1mm.

Homework Equations

Pressure = Force * Area
Volume of Cylinder = ∏ * Length *Radius^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all the units into SI. I know I need to solve for length of the cylinder, but when I try to equal the cylinder dimensions to 5psi nothing works out. Just don't know how to approach the problem yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5 pounds/inch^2 = 34,473.7865 kg/ms^2
2Litres/hour = 5.55x10^-7 m^3/s
diameter = 1mm = 0.001m
radius = 0.001m/2 = 0.0005m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Maxnormal. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Are you learning fluid mechanics? Have you learned about the Hagen -Poiseuille viscous flow equation?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi Maxnormal. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Are you learning fluid mechanics? Have you learned about the Hagen -Poiseuille viscous flow equation?

Chet

Hey! Right now I am learning Soil Physics. And I have not learned of that equation yet. Will I need that equation to solve the problem?

maxnormal said:
Hey! Right now I am learning Soil Physics. And I have not learned of that equation yet. Will I need that equation to solve the problem?

Google it and see if it satisfies your needs.

Chet

Area = ∏ * (0.0005m)^2 = 7.85x10^-7 m^2

Pressure = (5.55x10^-7 m^3/s) / (7.85x10^-7 m^2 * length)
34,473.7865 kg/ms^2 = 5.55x10^-7 m^3/s / (7.85x10^-7 m^2 * length)

Solving for length:
length = (5.55x10^-7 m^3/s) / (34,473.7865 kg/ms^2 * 7.85x10^-7 m^2)
length = 0.0000016 meters

The required length of the emitter's capillary tube is 0.0000016 meters.

Related to How to Calculate the Length of a Capillary Tube for a Drip-Irrigation Emitter

1. What is the Capillary Tube Problem?

The Capillary Tube Problem refers to the phenomenon of liquid in a narrow tube rising above the level of the surrounding liquid due to capillary action.

2. Why does liquid rise in a capillary tube?

Liquid rises in a capillary tube due to the combined forces of adhesion and cohesion. Adhesion is the attraction between the liquid molecules and the walls of the tube, while cohesion is the attraction between the liquid molecules. These forces work together to pull the liquid up the tube against the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the height of liquid rise in a capillary tube?

The height of liquid rise in a capillary tube is affected by the diameter of the tube, the properties of the liquid, and the strength of the forces of adhesion and cohesion. A smaller diameter tube, a liquid with stronger adhesive properties, and stronger cohesive forces will result in a higher liquid rise in the tube.

4. How is the Capillary Tube Problem used in scientific research?

The Capillary Tube Problem is used in various scientific research fields, such as biology, chemistry, and material science. It is used to study the properties of liquids, such as surface tension, viscosity, and adhesion. It is also used in microfluidic devices to manipulate and transport small amounts of liquid.

5. Can the Capillary Tube Problem be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Capillary Tube Problem can be observed in everyday life. Examples include the rise of liquid in a paper towel, the movement of water through plant roots, and the formation of meniscus in a glass of water.