How to Calculate Tension on a Horizontal Clothesline | Calc 2 Physics Problem

In summary, a 20-meter horizontal clothesline with a mass of 3 kilograms tied to its middle sags 2 meters. To find the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline in N, we can use the formula T(y) = 0.5(mg) and solve for the angle using trigonometry. The net force on the mass must be equal to zero for it to stay sagging at 2 meters.
somebodyelse5
A horizontal clothesline is tied between 2 poles, 20 meters apart.
When a mass of 3 kilograms is tied to the middle of the clothesline, it sags a distance of 2 meters.

What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline in N?

Ok, I am totally lost on this problem, I've tried drawing the free body diagrams and really hasnt helped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If the mass stays sagging at two meters, what must the net force in it be? What individual forces are acting on the mass?

I figured it out! T(y)=.5(mg)=.5(29.43)

And then I can use the distance to solve for the angle and then use trig with that angle to find T!

Related to How to Calculate Tension on a Horizontal Clothesline | Calc 2 Physics Problem

1. How do I calculate the tension on a horizontal clothesline?

The tension on a horizontal clothesline can be calculated by using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object attached to the clothesline, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This equation assumes that the clothesline is perfectly horizontal and that there is no wind or other external forces acting on the clothesline.

2. What is the significance of calculating tension on a horizontal clothesline?

Calculating the tension on a horizontal clothesline is important because it can help determine if the clothesline is strong enough to hold the weight of the objects being hung on it. It can also help in understanding the forces acting on the clothesline and ensuring that it is not overloaded, which could lead to potential safety hazards.

3. What factors can affect the tension on a horizontal clothesline?

The tension on a horizontal clothesline can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the objects being hung, the length and strength of the clothesline, and external forces such as wind or the angle at which the clothesline is hung. Additionally, any sag or slack in the clothesline can also affect the tension.

4. How does the angle at which the clothesline is hung affect the tension?

The tension on a horizontal clothesline is directly related to the angle at which it is hung. The greater the angle between the clothesline and the ground, the greater the tension will be. This is because a higher angle means that the weight of the objects being hung is being distributed over a shorter distance, resulting in a greater force acting on the clothesline.

5. Can the tension on a horizontal clothesline ever be zero?

No, the tension on a horizontal clothesline cannot be zero. This is because the weight of the objects being hung on the clothesline will always exert a force on the clothesline, even if it is small. Additionally, the clothesline itself will also have some weight, which will contribute to the overall tension on the clothesline.