How to Calculate Strain and Dimensional Changes in Complex Loading Systems

In summary, a student missed a day of college due to illness and received homework that is similar to a test. They need to determine the axial strain, lateral strain, and changes in cross-sectional dimensions of a rectangular cross-section bar subjected to a 210kN axial tensile load, with a modulus of elasticity of 80GPa and Poisson's ratio of 0.25. They also need to determine the extension and decrease in diameter of a bar with a circular cross-section, also subjected to a 210kN tensile load, and made from a steel with the same material properties and dimensions. The student is seeking help as they find the topic confusing.
smiffy66

I missed a day at college last week when i was off sick due to tonsilitis. I received some homework today and it is going to be similar to a test next week. I really need to know how to do this and the lecturer has not been very helpful either.

A) I have a rectangular cross-section bar that is, 100mm x 40mm square and 500mm long. This is subjected to an axial tensile load of 210kN.

From this information i need to determine.
1) The axial strain.
2) The lateral strain.
3) The changes in cross sectional dimensions.

The material has a modulus of elasticity 80GPa, and poissons ratio of 0.25.

B) A bar of circular cross-section is subjected to a tensile load of 210kN, which is within the elastic range. The bar is made from a steel with 80GPa and Poissons ration = 0.25, it has a diameter of 25mm and 0.8m long. Determine the extension of the bar and the decrease in diameter..

Please give me as much help as you can as i am finding this very confusing, all help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also:

The lateral strain at any point in a bar is usually proportional to the axial strain at the same point if the material is linearly elastic, and the ratio of the lateral strain to the axial strain is known as Poisson's ratio (n).
http://www.me.cmu.edu/academics/courses/NSF_Edu_Proj/StrAnalysis_ANSYS/pb1_part1_8.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help, i should be able to make an attempt now at least. :)

Related to How to Calculate Strain and Dimensional Changes in Complex Loading Systems

What is a complex loading system?

A complex loading system refers to a system that is designed to handle the loading of materials or goods in a complex manner, often involving multiple stages or processes.

What are the components of a complex loading system?

The components of a complex loading system may vary depending on the specific system, but generally include conveyor belts, loading docks, loading arms, cranes, and other equipment designed to transport and load materials in a complex manner.

What are the benefits of using a complex loading system?

Complex loading systems can offer increased efficiency and productivity, as well as improved safety and accuracy in the loading process. They also allow for more flexibility and customization in loading operations.

What industries commonly use complex loading systems?

Industries that involve the transportation and loading of large quantities of goods or materials, such as manufacturing, logistics, and shipping, often use complex loading systems to streamline their operations.

What factors should be considered when designing a complex loading system?

When designing a complex loading system, factors such as the type of materials being loaded, the desired speed and efficiency, safety requirements, and available space should all be taken into consideration to ensure the system meets the specific needs and requirements of the industry or company.