How to Calculate pH in a Titration of Citric Acid with NaOH?

In summary, we have a solution of 50.00 mL of 0.1000 M citric acid (Ka = 7.41 x 10^-4) being titrated with NaOH. The pH is being calculated for this titration, where equal moles of acid and base are present. However, since it is a strong base being titrated into a weak acid, the pH is expected to be slightly above 7. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation cannot be used in this scenario due to the undefined log of zero concentrations. It is suggested to start with millimole amounts to find the first equivalence point. The concentration of NaOH should also be known in order to make any calculations. Since citric
nautica
50.00 mL of 0.1000 M citric acid (Ka = 7.41 x 10^-4).

titrated 50.00 mL NaOH added.

Calculate pH.

I have equal moles of Acid and equal moles of Base. But, I am titrating a strong base into a weak acid. So, instead of my pH being 7, I assume it should be just above 7. But, I am not sure how to go about this.

I would not think that Henderson-Hass would work b/c we will be dealing with a log of undefined, which is undefined. The zero concentrations of each have me confused.

Thanks
Nautica

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Citric acid is a triprotic acid as you know, and as a result trisodium citrate will be formed. This may be a cue.

But, will that effect the pH at these concentrations?

Well, start with millimole amounts to find the first equivalence point; you have 50*.1=5 mmol of acid and 5 mmol of base is needed. How many mililiters will you use?

Also, you should know the starting concentration of the base, without knowing this property, it would be useless to consider anything.

Last edited:
Sorry, I see the confusion now. I left out that the NaOH concentration is 0.1000 M. This is what is confusing me. At these concentrations they cancel out so Henderson Hass can not be used.

I have also not worked with triprotics, but I wouldn't think at these concentrations it would matter. I was planning on using the above Ka.

Thanks
Nautica

Well, since only one Ka value was given, we can assume that the first ionization is under consideration. If you want to study the other stages of deprotonization, you'll have to give us the other Ka values along with this one.

When you start the titration, you add, say, 1 mL of NaOH onto 50 mL of HA (I will regard this acid as monoprotic here). Here, the total volume will be 51 mL, and you can recalculate the concentration after each addition step, and find the relevant concentrations (base concentration will be practically zero, since it will immediately reacted by the virtual pool of acid).

Yes, only one Ka was given, so I am considering it a monoprotic

Nautica

Related to How to Calculate pH in a Titration of Citric Acid with NaOH?

1. What is a pH titration?

A pH titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution of a strong acid or base. The process involves gradually adding the known solution to the unknown solution until the reaction reaches a neutral pH, which can then be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

2. How is a pH titration performed?

To perform a pH titration, a burette is filled with the known solution and then slowly added to the unknown solution in a flask. The volume of the known solution added is recorded until the reaction reaches a neutral pH. The volume and concentration of the known solution can then be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution using the equation M1V1 = M2V2.

3. What are the key components needed for a pH titration?

The key components needed for a pH titration include a burette, a flask, a known solution of a strong acid or base, an unknown solution, and a pH indicator. The burette is used to add the known solution to the unknown solution, while the flask is used to hold the unknown solution. The pH indicator is used to determine when the reaction reaches a neutral pH.

4. What is the purpose of a pH indicator in a titration?

A pH indicator is used in a titration to determine when the reaction reaches a neutral pH. This is important because it indicates that the reaction is complete and the concentration of the unknown solution can be calculated. Different indicators have different color changes at different pH levels, allowing for the determination of the neutral point of the reaction.

5. What are some common sources of error in a pH titration?

Some common sources of error in a pH titration include inaccurate measurements of the volumes of solutions added, improper calibration of the pH indicator, and the presence of impurities in the solutions used. It is important to carefully measure and record all volumes and properly calibrate the pH indicator to ensure accurate results.