How to Calculate Orbital Period, Speed, and Minimum Energy for a Satellite?

In summary, the conversation discusses the launching of a satellite from Earth's equator into a circular orbit 200 km above the surface of the Earth. The orbital period and speed of the satellite are calculated, but the minimum energy required to place the satellite in orbit is still unknown. The concept of conservation of energy is mentioned, but the method of applying it to the problem is unclear. Eventually, it is determined that the initial speed of the satellite would be zero and the additional energy needed can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2*m*Vf^2 + G*Me*Ms(1/6380 - 1/6580), paying attention to the units used.
wowdusk

Homework Statement

a satellite of mass 200 kg is launched from a site on Earth's equator into an orbit 200 km above the surface of earth. a) assuming a circular orbit , what is the orbital period of this satellite? b)what is the satellite's speed in it's orbit? c) what is the minimum energy necessary to place the satellite in orbit , assuming no air friction?

Homework Equations

PE= -G*Me*m/r

how does
-γMm/(R+r) become GmR²/(R+r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did both parts a and b just 100% stuck on part c..no idea at all what to do :(
...This makes me frustrated...really!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wowdusk said:
I did both parts a and b just 100% stuck on part c..no idea at all what to do :(
...This makes me frustrated...really!

Consider the difference in total energy of the satellite from before launch and then in orbit.

that doesn't help me much i knew that i need to use the conservation of energy...i just don't know how to apply it here...

would PEi= -GMem/ri?
like i asked before how does -γMm/(R+r)= -gmR²/(R+r)
confuzzled?!?

wowdusk said:
that doesn't help me much i knew that i need to use the conservation of energy...i just don't know how to apply it here...

OK. So what is the conservation of energy?

ΔPE + ΔKE = Energy supplied isn't it?

yes but would this be it .5*Ms*vi^2-GMeMs/Re=.5*Ms*vf^2-GMeMs/Rt

like what would vi be and vf be? does anything get canceled out? I am not sure

woud vi be the speed the Earth is rotating and vf be my answer from part b?

ARGGGGGGGG it still doesn't work what about -γMm/(R+r)= -gmR²/(R+r) how is this possible? idk I am so confused. I've been working on this single part for over 3 hours now and still i have no answer... i will never understand this :mad:

wowdusk said:
woud vi be the speed the Earth is rotating and vf be my answer from part b?

Since you don't know where it would be launched from and ... I think you can assume that the rotational speed of the Earth is sufficiently slower than orbital speed, your initial speed would be zero.

As to finding the Additional energy it's really then

E = 1/2*m*Vf2 + G*Me*Ms( 1/6380 - 1/6580)

(Pay careful attention to units. I've used km above.)

Thank you! I was messing up the units XD

Related to How to Calculate Orbital Period, Speed, and Minimum Energy for a Satellite?

1. What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are three mathematical principles developed by scientist Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century that describe the motion of planets and other bodies in the solar system.

2. What is the first law of Kepler?

The first law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbits of planets and satellites are elliptical in shape with the Sun or the planet at one of the two foci.

3. How does the second law of Kepler describe the motion of a satellite?

The second law, also known as the Law of Areas, states that a satellite will sweep out equal areas in equal times, meaning that it will move faster when it is closer to the planet or body it is orbiting.

4. Can Kepler's Laws be applied to any satellite in the universe?

Yes, Kepler's Laws can be applied to any satellite orbiting a planet or other body, regardless of its size or location in the universe.

5. How can Kepler's Laws be used to predict the motion of a satellite?

By using Kepler's Laws and inputting data such as the mass and distance of the satellite and the planet or body it is orbiting, scientists can accurately predict the path and speed of a satellite at any given time.