How to Calculate Magnetic Flux on a Surface Along a Wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic flux through a surface S, which is determined by the current i and the radius r of a wire. The formula for calculating the magnetic field B is also mentioned. The solution to the problem is provided as \phi_b=\mu_0 i /4\pi, and it is noted that the length of the wire can be calculated by multiplying the radius by 2\pi. The surface S is described as a rectangular shape with a base of R and an infinite height, not a circle.
YoungILoveYou
Along a wire (of radius r) a current i is crossed from one.
Calculate the magnetic flux through the surface S, inner to the wire.

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cilindrodb4.jpg

I think

[tex]\phi_b= \int B dS= BS[/tex]

[tex]B=\mu_0 i/2\pi r[/tex]

How to calculate S if I have not the length of wire?

The solution of the problem is
[tex]\phi_b=\mu_0 i /4\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a wire 'loop' of radius r, then the length is simply 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r, and the area circumscribed by a circle is given by A = [itex]\pi[/itex]r2.

Area=S

S is a rectangular (see image linked) surface, it is not a circle.

S would be the Area of a rectangular of base R and height=length of wire (infinite)

Related to How to Calculate Magnetic Flux on a Surface Along a Wire?

1. What is magnetic flux on a surface?

Magnetic flux on a surface is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through that surface. It is a scalar quantity and is symbolized by the Greek letter phi (Φ).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the surface that is perpendicular to the magnetic field. It is represented by the formula Φ = B x A, where B is the magnetic field strength and A is the surface area.

3. What are the units for magnetic flux?

The SI unit for magnetic flux is Weber (Wb). In terms of base SI units, 1 Wb is equal to 1 kg⋅m^2⋅s^-2⋅A^-1. In some cases, the unit Tesla (T) is also used for magnetic flux.

4. How does magnetic flux affect the behavior of materials?

The presence of magnetic flux on a surface can affect the behavior of materials by inducing a magnetic field in them. This can cause the material to become magnetized or to experience a force or torque due to the interaction with the magnetic field.

5. What factors can affect the magnetic flux on a surface?

The magnetic flux on a surface is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the surface, and the angle between the surface and the magnetic field. It can also be affected by the material properties of the surface, such as its permeability and magnetic susceptibility.