How to calculate inverse cosine of two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of separating the equation arccos(x+y) into two equations containing x and y separately. One person suggests using the sum and difference formula for cosines and sines, while another suggests using the algebraic laws for combining powers and Euler's formula. It is also mentioned that the equation cannot be expressed as a function of x plus a function of y.
Wenlong
Hi, all

I am looking into inverse cosine operations. I have a question like follows:

Let x and y be two variables of degrees, how to separate equation arccos(x+y) into an equation that contains x and y separately? Such as arccos(x+y) = f1(...x) + f2(...y)?

Thank you very much for your consideration. I'll be extremely appreciated if any help.

Regards
Wenlong

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about the sum and difference formula for cosines and sines? If so, you can look that up on the internet in about 10 seconds.

Or are you asking how to prove the formulas, which is a bit harder.

However, there is a cute way of proving it using the algebraic laws for combining powers, x^a x^b = x^(a+b), and Euler's formula, cos x + i sin x = e^(ix). This gets you the sum formulas for both cosine and sine. (hint: use Euler's formula first, which can then be broken back out using the laws for combining powers).

Last edited:
There's no way it could be expressed as a function of x plus a function of y. You can see that by considering partial derivatives.

Related to How to calculate inverse cosine of two variables

1. How do I calculate the inverse cosine of two variables?

The inverse cosine, also known as the arccosine, of two variables x and y can be calculated using the following formula: arccos(x/y). This will give you the angle in radians between 0 and π, or between 0 and 180 degrees.

2. What if the two variables have a ratio that is outside of the range of -1 to 1?

The inverse cosine function is only defined for ratios between -1 and 1, so if your variables have a ratio outside of this range, the calculation will not be possible. In this case, you may need to re-evaluate your equation or use a different method to solve your problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate the inverse cosine of two variables?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a button for calculating the inverse cosine (usually labeled as "cos-1" or "arccos"). Simply enter the ratio of the two variables and press the button to get the result.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating the inverse cosine of two variables?

The inverse cosine function is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving angles in right triangles. It can also be used in physics and engineering for calculating the angle of forces or vectors.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using the inverse cosine function?

Yes, it's important to remember that the inverse cosine function is only defined for ratios between -1 and 1. If your variables have a ratio outside of this range, the calculation will not be possible. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct units (radians or degrees) for your calculation.