How to calculate instantaneous acceleration if -->

In summary, the author tried to use the formula for acceleration vs time but the accuracy of the figure makes it difficult to calculate the instantaneous acceleration.
Hardikph
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.

Sci1.PNG

I tried but I can't.
Sci1.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Ray Vickson said:
You must show your work. What have you tried?
First I used the formula dv/dt but I am used to have a ƒ(x) in the questions I usually did.

Hardikph said:
First I used the formula dv/dt but I am used to have a ƒ(x) in the questions I usually did.
Write dv/dt in terms of x and y, as defined in this question.
What is the gradient at a point on a graph, a) in terms of algebra, and b) in terms of geometry?

+1

It looks like this question is testing that you know what dx/dt and dv/dt mean in the real world.

I am NOT getting it. Can you be a little more specific.

Edit : Distorted plot corrected .

Last edited:
dydx mk2mk2.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Hardikph
There's a conflict in the figure, t2 is stated as being 3.8, but shows as 4.0 in the figure. There's insufficient information to determine instantaneous acceleration without more sample points or a limitation on the formula for acceleration versus time. If the figure was more accurate, the multiple sample points could be used to generate a function for position versus time, and then velocity and acceleration versus time. For example, the graph could be a hyperbola, in which case acceleration approaches zero as time and distance increase, or the graph could be a parabola, in which case acceleration is constant, although the graph seems to be closer to being a hyperbola.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
rcgldr said:
There's a conflict in the figure, t2 is stated as being 3.8, but shows as 4.0 in the figure.

Sorry I disagree. I think that's deliberate.

It states the velocity at t=3.8 seconds is 130m/s and asks you to calculate the acceleration at t2=4.0 seconds. The graph gives you enough data to calculate the velocity at t2=4.0. So you have the velocities at two points a known time apart.

The accuracy might not be great but you can calculate an answer.

Likes Nidum
CWatters said:
It states the velocity at t=3.8 seconds is 130m/s and asks you to calculate the acceleration at t2=4.0 seconds. The graph gives you enough data to calculate the velocity at t2=4.0. So you have the velocities at two points a known time apart.

The accuracy might not be great but you can calculate an answer.
I wasn't paying attention to the limited choices of possible answers, so the accuracy doesn't need to be that great. There's no information after t = 4.0, so what's being calculated is the average acceleration from t = 3.8 to t = 4.0, not the instantaneous acceleration at t = 4.0. Based on the graph and the data, the acceleration is decreasing with time, instantaneous acceleration at t = 4.0 would be less.

Last edited:
@Hardikph , I don't know if you've been able to follow the discussion between CWatters and rcgldr.
You are told the velocity at t=3.8s, and there is enough information in the graph to find it at t=4s. Can you see how to deduce that second velocity? Having got the two velocities, can you see how to estimate the acceleration?

Now I Understand. Thank You guys.

Related to How to calculate instantaneous acceleration if -->

1. How do I calculate instantaneous acceleration using velocity and time?

To calculate instantaneous acceleration, you need to use the formula a = (v2 - v1)/t, where v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Simply plug in the values and solve for acceleration.

2. Can I calculate instantaneous acceleration without knowing the velocity?

No, instantaneous acceleration cannot be calculated without knowing the velocity. It is a measure of the rate at which an object's velocity is changing over time.

3. Is instantaneous acceleration the same as average acceleration?

No, instantaneous acceleration refers to the acceleration at a specific moment in time, while average acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity over a given time interval.

4. How is instantaneous acceleration different from instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous acceleration and instantaneous speed are two different measures. Instantaneous speed is the magnitude of an object's velocity at a specific moment, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of that velocity at that specific moment.

5. How can I interpret a negative value for instantaneous acceleration?

A negative value for instantaneous acceleration means that the object is slowing down. This occurs when the final velocity is less than the initial velocity. It does not necessarily mean that the object is moving in the opposite direction, as it could still be moving in the same direction but at a decreasing speed.