How to Calculate Grounding Resistance with Two Electrodes?

In summary, the conversation involves two grounding electrodes buried in the ground and three measurements - the first electrode's grounding resistance, the second's grounding resistance, and the resistance between the two electrodes. The question is about the system's grounding resistance if the two electrodes are connected with an ideal wire. The correct answer is 5.2 ohms and the speaker got a different answer of 1.2 ohms but is unsure if it is correct. The conversation ends with the mentor requesting to close the thread.
Edg
Member advised to use the homework template!
Hi!

I can't find the method of the solution to this question, it was an exercise on an exam..

There are two grounding electrodes buried in the ground. We make three measurments. First, we measure the first electrode's grounding resistance, which is: 6 ohms. Then, the second's: 7 ohms. Then the resistance between the two electrodes: 5 ohms.
The question is, if we connect the two electrodes with an ideal wire (which has no resistance), then what will be the system's grounding resistance.
We only know this much, nothing more.

The correct answer is: 5.2 ohms.

How can you acquire this result?

3.23 ohms is not the right answer...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a totally different answer of 1.2 Ohms (but I've been out in the rain all day so I may have made a mistake).

Best show us your circuit and attempt to solve. It's a forum rule anyway.

Thanks for the answer, but there is no circuit, I could show you. How did you get 1.2 ohms?
(I only know the final result, the 5.2 Ohms.)

Draw your own circuit?

Mentor's comment: Edg has asked to have the thread closed, so I'm closing it.

Related to How to Calculate Grounding Resistance with Two Electrodes?

1. What is "grounding resistance exercise"?

"Grounding resistance exercise" is a type of workout that involves placing your bare feet on a conductive surface, such as the earth, and performing resistance exercises. The idea behind this exercise is that it allows you to connect with the earth's electric field, which can have potential health benefits.

2. What are the benefits of grounding resistance exercise?

There are a few proposed benefits of grounding resistance exercise, including improved circulation, reduced inflammation, and improved sleep. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and the mechanisms behind them.

3. Is grounding resistance exercise safe?

Generally, grounding resistance exercise is considered safe for healthy individuals. However, it is always important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.

4. Can anyone do grounding resistance exercise?

Most people can safely participate in grounding resistance exercise. However, if you have any medical conditions or injuries that may be worsened by standing or exercising, it is important to consult with a doctor before trying this type of workout.

5. How often should I do grounding resistance exercise?

The frequency of grounding resistance exercise can vary depending on individual needs and preferences. Some people may benefit from doing it daily, while others may find it helpful to do a few times a week. It is important to listen to your body and adjust as needed. As with any exercise, it is also important to incorporate rest days to allow your body to recover.