How to Calculate Gas Exit Velocity in a De Laval Nozzle?

• Thread starter jslade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nozzle
In summary, a Newby de Laval nozzle is a type of converging-diverging nozzle used in rocket engines to accelerate hot gases to supersonic speeds. It works by compressing and heating the gas in the converging section, then quickly expanding it in the diverging section. Its main advantage is its efficiency in supersonic acceleration and its simple design. However, it has limitations such as only being effective at high altitudes and requiring precise engineering. It differs from other types of nozzles in its unique design and application in rocket engines.
jslade
Newby de laval nozzle ?

I am experimenting with de laval nozzles. I am trying to make a nozzle that operates at room temprature and moderatly low pressure.

This is the equation I have found for calculating area of throat.

At = (q / Pt) x SQRT[ (R' x Tt) / (M x k) ]

At= area of throat
q = gas flow rate
Pt= pressure at throat
R'= Universal gas constant x molecular weight
Tt= Temp at throat
M= gravity constant
k= gas specific heat ratio

How do I calculate the volocity of the gas that exits the throat? What is an ideal volocity,
is it relative to the speed of the rocket? Is it possible to work the above equation and end up with a low and therefor ineffective volocity? Do I have to set my pressure and flow rate
based on a target gas exit volocity?

Thanks for your time
jslade

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello jslade,

it is great to see that you are experimenting with de laval nozzles. These nozzles are commonly used in rocket engines to accelerate the exhaust gases to supersonic speeds, providing efficient thrust.

To calculate the velocity of the gas exiting the throat, you can use the following equation:

V = SQRT[ (2 x k x R' x Tt) / (k-1) x (1- (Pt / P) ^ ((k-1) / k)) ]

Where:
V = velocity of gas exiting throat
k = gas specific heat ratio
R' = Universal gas constant x molecular weight
Tt = temperature at throat
Pt = pressure at throat
P = exit pressure

The ideal velocity for a de laval nozzle is the speed of sound at the exit pressure. This is known as the critical velocity, and it is the maximum velocity that the gas can achieve in the nozzle. In order to achieve this ideal velocity, the pressure at the exit of the nozzle must be equal to the ambient pressure.

It is possible to calculate a low velocity using the above equation, but this would not be an effective velocity for a de laval nozzle. The purpose of the nozzle is to accelerate the gas to supersonic speeds, so a low velocity would not provide efficient thrust.

In order to achieve the ideal velocity, you may need to adjust the pressure and flow rate of the gas. The pressure at the throat and exit of the nozzle can be controlled by adjusting the geometry of the nozzle, specifically the area of the throat and the exit. The flow rate can be controlled by adjusting the amount of gas being fed into the nozzle.

I hope this helps with your experiments. Best of luck!

Related to How to Calculate Gas Exit Velocity in a De Laval Nozzle?

1. What is a Newby de Laval nozzle?

A Newby de Laval nozzle is a type of converging-diverging nozzle used in rocket engines to accelerate hot gases to supersonic speeds.

2. How does a Newby de Laval nozzle work?

A Newby de Laval nozzle works by first compressing and heating the gas in the converging section, then expanding it rapidly in the diverging section, creating a supersonic flow.

3. What are the advantages of using a Newby de Laval nozzle?

The main advantage of a Newby de Laval nozzle is its ability to efficiently accelerate gases to supersonic speeds, making it ideal for use in rocket engines. It also has a simple design and is relatively easy to manufacture.

4. What are the limitations of a Newby de Laval nozzle?

One limitation of a Newby de Laval nozzle is that it is only effective at high altitudes and cannot be used in atmospheric conditions. It also requires precise engineering and can be prone to failure if not designed and operated correctly.

5. How is a Newby de Laval nozzle different from other types of nozzles?

A Newby de Laval nozzle differs from other types of nozzles in its unique converging-diverging design and its ability to create supersonic flow. It is also commonly used in rocket engines, while other types of nozzles may have different applications such as in turbines or engines.