How to Calculate Frictional Force on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the diagram attached shows a force pulling a particle up an inclined slope. The force of -40j represents the weight of the particle and the frictional force down the slope has a magnitude of 65N. The displacement of the body AB is (3i+4j)m. To calculate the frictional force in component form ai+bj, one needs to set up coordinate axis and consider the angles and their relation to the vector components. By using the equation a^2+b^2=65^2, the value of ab can be found. The frictional force vector is opposite to but in line with (3i+4j), so the ab value is 5. Therefore, the frictional force is
ku1005
given the folliwng information

the diagram attached shows a froce pulling a particel up an inclined slope. The force of -40j represents the weight of the particle and the frictional force down the slope has a mag of 65N.the displacement of the body AB, = (3i+4j)m. Calculate the frictional force in component form ai+bj.

just hoping sum1 could tell me how you are supposed to determine this...ie i know a^2+b^2=65^2 but i feel i am missing another variable in order to sub either a or b so that one of the 2 can be found...any help be be greatly appreciated! thanks

Attachments

• phys q.bmp
    74.5 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
ku1005 said:
given the folliwng information

the diagram attached shows a froce pulling a particel up an inclined slope. The force of -40j represents the weight of the particle and the frictional force down the slope has a mag of 65N.the displacement of the body AB, = (3i+4j)m. Calculate the frictional force in component form ai+bj.

just hoping sum1 could tell me how you are supposed to determine this...ie i know a^2+b^2=65^2 but i feel i am missing another variable in order to sub either a or b so that one of the 2 can be found...any help be be greatly appreciated! thanks

Set up some coordinate axis, and think about the angles and the relation between these angles and the vector components.

yeah i got it...soz...silly really (3i+4j) is opposite to but in line with the frictional force vector, hence ab value of (3i+4j)=5 therefore 65/5 * (-3i-4j) = (-32i-52j)N ...thanks

Related to How to Calculate Frictional Force on an Inclined Plane?

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped, allowing objects to be moved or lifted more easily than if they were on a horizontal surface.

What are forces on an inclined plane?

Forces on an inclined plane are the forces acting upon an object that is on an inclined surface. These forces include the weight of the object, the normal force from the surface, and the force of friction.

How do you calculate the force of an object on an inclined plane?

The force of an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

What is the relationship between the angle of an inclined plane and the force needed to move an object?

The force needed to move an object on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. As the angle increases, the force needed to move the object also increases.

How does friction affect forces on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can make it more difficult for an object to move on an inclined plane. Friction increases as the angle of the incline increases, making it harder to move objects up the incline.