How to calculate $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$?

In summary, we are discussing how to calculate the expected value of the random variable $S=X_1+X_2+\ldots +X_{10}$, where $X_i$ are independent variables with equal probability of $\pm 2$. We can use the definition of expectation or the calculation rules for expectations to find the expected value of $S^2$, which can be simplified using the general formula for variance. We also consider the expectation of $X_iX_j$ with $i\neq j$, which is found to be 0.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

The random variables $X_1, X_2, \ldots , X_{10}$ are independent and have the same distribution function and each of them gets exactly the values $\pm 2$ and with equal probability.

We define the random variable $S=X_1+X_2+\ldots +X_{10}$.

I want to calculate $\mathbb{E}(S^2)$.

Could you give me a hint how we could calculate that? I don't really have an idea. (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

What is the expectation of $X_1$?
Of $X_1+X_2$?
Of $X_1^2$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What is the expectation of $X_1$?
Of $X_1+X_2$?
Of $X_1^2$? (Wondering)

Do we have the following?

$\mathbb{E}(X_i)=x_i\cdot p=(\pm 2)\cdot \frac{1}{10}=\pm\frac{1}{5}$
$\mathbb{E}(X_i+X_j)=\mathbb{E}(X_i)+\mathbb{E}(X_j)$
$\mathbb{E}(X_i^2)=x_i^2\cdot p=(\pm 2)^2\cdot \frac{1}{10}=4\cdot \frac{1}{10}=\frac{2}{5}$

(Wondering)

Don't we have:
$$EY=\sum_j y_jp_j$$
(Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Don't we have:
$$EY=\sum_j y_jp_j$$
(Wondering)
So do we have $E(X_i)=-2\cdot \frac{1}{2}+2\cdot \frac{1}{2}=0$ ? Or do you mean something else?

mathmari said:
So do we have $E(X_i)=-2\cdot \frac{1}{2}+2\cdot \frac{1}{2}=0$ ? Or do you mean something else?

Yes, that's what I meant.

I like Serena said:
Yes, that's what I meant.
Great! Do we get then $$E(S^2)=\sum E(X_i^2)=\sum x_i^2\cdot p=\sum 4\cdot \frac{1}{2}=10\cdot 2=20$$?

mathmari said:
Great! Do we get then $$E(S^2)=\sum E(X_i^2)=\sum x_i^2\cdot p=\sum 4\cdot \frac{1}{2}=10\cdot 2=20$$?

Isn't $S^2\ne \sum X_i^2$? (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Isn't $S^2\ne \sum X_i^2$? (Worried)

Ah ok.. but what can we do in this case?

mathmari said:
Ah ok.. but what can we do in this case?

I see the following possible approaches:

1. Apply the definition of expectation directly.
    $$E(S^2) = \sum_j s_j^2 q_j$$
    where $s_j$ is each of the possible $n^2$ outcomes and $q_j=\left(\frac 12\right)^2$ are the corresponding probabilities.
  2. Use the calculation rules that apply to expectations:
    $$E(S^2) = E\Big((X_1 + .. + X_n)^2\Big) = E\Big(X_1^2 + .. X_n^2 + \sum_{i\ne j} 2X_iX_j\Big) = E(X_1^2) + ... + E(X_n^2) + 2 \sum_{i\ne j} E(X_iX_j)$$
    What is $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$?
  3. Use that generally $\sigma^2(Y) = E\Big((Y-EY)^2\Big) = E(Y^2) - (EY)^2$ and substitute $Y=S=X_1+...+X_n$.
(Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I see the following possible approaches:

1. Apply the definition of expectation directly.
    $$E(S^2) = \sum_j s_j^2 q_j$$
    where $s_j$ is each of the possible $n^2$ outcomes and $q_j=\left(\frac 12\right)^2$ are the corresponding probabilities.
  2. Use the calculation rules that apply to expectations:
    $$E(S^2) = E\Big((X_1 + .. + X_n)^2\Big) = E\Big(X_1^2 + .. X_n^2 + \sum_{i\ne j} 2X_iX_j\Big) = E(X_1^2) + ... + E(X_n^2) + 2 \sum_{i\ne j} E(X_iX_j)$$
    What is $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$?
  3. Use that generally $\sigma^2(Y) = E\Big((Y-EY)^2\Big) = E(Y^2) - (EY)^2$ and substitute $Y=S=X_1+...+X_n$.
(Thinking)

Hello,
What is $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$? would you explain?

Dhamnekar Winod said:
Hello,
What is $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$? would you explain?

An expectation is the sum of the possible outcomes times their probability.
In this case the possible outcomes are $\pm2 \cdot \pm 2$ and since they are independent each has probability $\frac 12 \cdot \frac 12 = \frac 14$.
So:
$$E(X_iX_j) = (-2\cdot -2)\cdot \frac 14 + (-2 \cdot 2)\cdot \frac 14 + (2 \cdot -2) \cdot \frac 14+ (2\cdot 2)\cdot \frac 14 = 0$$

Related to How to calculate $E(X_iX_j)$ with $i\ne j$?

What is the formula for calculating expected value?

The expected value is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing up all the products. The formula is: E(x) = Σx * P(x), where E(x) represents the expected value, x represents the possible outcomes, and P(x) represents the probability of each outcome.

Why is calculating expected value important?

Calculating the expected value is important because it helps in decision-making by providing an estimate of the average outcome of a random event. It allows us to make informed choices by considering the potential outcomes and their respective probabilities.

Can the expected value be negative?

Yes, the expected value can be negative. This can happen when the potential outcomes have different signs and their respective probabilities are such that the negative outcomes outweigh the positive outcomes.

What is the difference between expected value and actual value?

The expected value is a theoretical value that represents the average outcome of a random event. On the other hand, the actual value is the real outcome that occurs in a specific instance of the event. The expected value is based on probabilities, while the actual value is based on the specific circumstances of the event.

How is expected value used in risk management?

In risk management, expected value is used to assess the potential risks and rewards of a decision. It allows managers to evaluate the expected return of different options and make decisions that minimize potential losses and maximize potential gains.