How to Build a Ping Pong Projectile Launcher for Maximum Distance?

In summary, the OP is looking for a ping pong launcher that can be used to launch a ball up to 10 meters. He is considering a catapult, trebuchet, and ballista.
Ah Yiife
OP has been warned about posting schoolwork/homework without using the HH Template and showing some effort.
1. The shape of the ping pong launcher I think is 'catapult' but I don't know the suitable size and the materials need to use. The ping pong ball need to be launch to a distance of 4m and 10m respectively.

What are the size and materials used is most suitable to launch the ping pong ball this far ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does your "respectively" mean here? Are you building two different lauchers? I would certainly start with a pipe just large enough to fit a ping pong ball into. Then you have to decide how you are going to propel the balls. For example are you going to use gun powder or other explosive propellant? (Might be difficult to get a teacher's permission for that!) Are you going to use compressed gas, like air?

HallsofIvy said:
What does your "respectively" mean here? Are you building two different lauchers? I would certainly start with a pipe just large enough to fit a ping pong ball into. Then you have to decide how you are going to propel the balls. For example are you going to use gun powder or other explosive propellant? (Might be difficult to get a teacher's permission for that!) Are you going to use compressed gas, like air?
Sorry, my English is poor haha. Teacher suggests using the wood to make the catapult. 'Respectively' I mean is need to launch the ping pong ball twice. First distance is 4m and second distance is 10m. I think I am not going to use the gun powder and explosive propellant.

"Catapult" encompasses several designs.
A ballista is like a large crossbow, the energy being stored in the bending of a beam or twisting of ropes/sinews.
A trebuchet throws the missile from the end of a rotating arm, usually powered by a heavy weight on the other end.
Wikipedia might help you choose.

Thread is obviously locked. OP has been warned to re-post and show some actual work and effort on his/her schoolwork.

Related to How to Build a Ping Pong Projectile Launcher for Maximum Distance?

1. What is a ping pong projectile launcher?

A ping pong projectile launcher is a device used to launch ping pong balls at a high speed and with precision. It is often used for experiments or demonstrations in physics classes.

2. How does a ping pong projectile launcher work?

A ping pong projectile launcher uses stored elastic potential energy to launch the ping pong ball. The ball is placed in a cup or holder, and a rubber band or spring is pulled back and released, propelling the ball forward.

3. What are the components of a ping pong projectile launcher?

The main components of a ping pong projectile launcher include a launching mechanism, such as a rubber band or spring, a cup or holder for the ping pong ball, and a base or stand to stabilize the launcher.

4. What is the purpose of a ping pong projectile launcher?

The purpose of a ping pong projectile launcher is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and energy transfer. It can also be used for experiments involving force, velocity, and trajectory.

5. Is a ping pong projectile launcher safe to use?

As with any scientific device, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a ping pong projectile launcher. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, following instructions carefully, and using caution when handling the launcher and ping pong balls.