How to balance chemical equations with multiple elements?

In summary, balancing chemical equations involves setting coefficients for each compound to balance the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation. This can be done by starting with elements that only occur in one part, and then using mathematical equations to solve for the coefficients. It is important to check for fractions and multiply through by a common number to get integers.
transgalactic
[itex]

Ca_3(PO_4)_2 + H_3PO_4 -> Ca(H_2PO_4)_2
[/itex]i got the same problem with this one
[itex]
MgO + H_3PO_4 -> Mg_3(PO_4)_2 + H_2O
[/itex]
each time i balance one element i get the other which i balance before
to be dis balanced

what is the general way of solving such things
??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest starting with the elements that only occur in one part, usually you end with C, H and O because they occur most.
For example, for the first one,
a Ca3(PO4)2) + b H3PO4 -> c Ca (H2 PO4)2

First start with setting a = 1. You only have Ca in one element on the left, so you need c = 3 to get the amount of Ca on the right correctly. Then you have also fixed an amount of PO4 on both sides, and you will have to use b to compensate that. Then you have used all your freedom, so the H should automatically be balanced (if not, the reaction is not possible). Finally, check if you have fractions somewhere, and multiply through by some number to get integers everywhere.

If you are more mathematically inclined, you can write down a set of equations:
For Ca: 3a = c
For PO4: 2a + b = 2
For H: 3b = 4c
and solve that. Afterwards, again multiply a, b and c by some number to get rid of possible fractions (e.g. if you find a = 1, b = 1/2 and c = 1/5 multiply by 10 and use a = 10, b = 5, c = 2).

CompuChip said:
I suggest starting with the elements that only occur in one part, usually you end with C, H and O because they occur most.
For example, for the first one,
a Ca3(PO4)2) + b H3PO4 -> c Ca (H2 PO4)2

First start with setting a = 1. You only have Ca in one element on the left, so you need c = 3 to get the amount of Ca on the right correctly. Then you have also fixed an amount of PO4 on both sides, and you will have to use b to compensate that. Then you have used all your freedom, so the H should automatically be balanced (if not, the reaction is not possible). Finally, check if you have fractions somewhere, and multiply through by some number to get integers everywhere.

If you are more mathematically inclined, you can write down a set of equations:
For Ca: 3a = c
For PO4: 2a + b = 2
For H: 3b = 4c
and solve that. Afterwards, again multiply a, b and c by some number to get rid of possible fractions (e.g. if you find a = 1, b = 1/2 and c = 1/5 multiply by 10 and use a = 10, b = 5, c = 2).

i can't see how you get this equations..
why you put po4 as one instead doing for "p" ad oxiden
why in the second one you have only 2

transgalactic, CompuChip is trying to generalize your first example and used a , b, and c as counting variables (or coefficients?) for each compound.

Myself, starting in your Ca example, I would start with the Ca atoms first. The compound on the leftside has 3 Ca atoms, so you probably want 3 Ca atoms on the rightside. How many calcium dihydrogenphosphates would you need on the rightside? You would best pick 3 of these. Next, account for the phosphorus atoms. Do you have the same number of atoms of phosphorus on both sides? If not, then you have another adjustment to make. WORK WITH IT!

transgalactic said:
why you put po4 as one instead doing for "p" ad oxiden

Becasue they are always combined in the same way. You will have two linearly dependent equations - no new information, more places to make a mistake.

why in the second one you have only 2

Must be a typo, shoud be 2c.

Related to How to balance chemical equations with multiple elements?

1. How do I know if a formula is balanced?

A formula is considered balanced when there are equal numbers of each type of atom on both sides of the equation. This can be determined by counting the number of atoms for each element on both sides of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of balancing a formula?

The purpose of balancing a formula is to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. A balanced formula ensures that the law of conservation of mass is being followed, meaning that no atoms are created or destroyed during the reaction.

3. What are the steps to balance a formula?

The steps to balance a formula are as follows:

1. Write out the unbalanced formula.
  2. Count the number of atoms for each element on both sides of the equation.
  3. Add coefficients in front of the molecules to balance the number of atoms for each element.
  4. Check that all atoms are balanced on both sides of the equation.
  5. If necessary, adjust coefficients until the formula is balanced.

4. Can a formula be balanced without changing the subscripts?

No, the subscripts in a formula represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule. In order to balance a formula, the number of atoms for each element must be equal on both sides of the equation, which may require changing the subscripts.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for balancing formulas?

There are no shortcuts or tricks for balancing formulas, as it requires following a specific set of steps to ensure the formula is accurately balanced. However, with practice, balancing formulas can become quicker and easier.