How to approximate the rate of growth of an integer sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence and how to determine the formula used to generate it. It is suggested that the function can be approximated by taking the difference between terms as x approaches infinity, but this may not work for all types of functions. The conversation also acknowledges that this method may not be useful for values of x less than infinity. Ultimately, the goal is to find an approximate rate of growth for the sequence.
japplepie
Assume that I have absolutely no clue to what is the formula used to generate a sequence.

How do I know what kind of formula that is? (Exponential / Linear / Polynomial / etc)

Also assume that there is only 1 formula that generates the sequence.

I have read somewhere before that:

f'(x) ~ f(x+1)-f(x) as x -> infinity; is this true?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
change in y over change in x (which is 1, because it takes integer arguments) is the slope, sooo...

Actually, I neglected that as x goes to infinity part. I'm not so sure about that. Seems sketchy. That will give you the approximate derivative at some value x.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Actually, I neglected that as x goes to infinity part. I'm not so sure about that. Seems sketchy. That will give you the approximate derivative at some value x.
does this approximate derivative approach the actual derivative (as x grows to inf) ?

Hmm... I'm trying to think about it, and analytically, it seems to work, at least for polynomial expressions.

But, if you had a sequence f such that ##f:=cos(n\pi)## this would not work for retrieving the derivative of a continuous function.

I just checked in wolfram, it also does not work for f(x)=x^x :c

Yea, I don't know enough about derivatives of piecewise functions, because that's what a sequence is, to be able to solve something so generally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Yea, I don't know enough about derivatives of piecewise functions, because that's what a sequence is, to be able to solve something so generally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
But could the fact that I can create an infinitely more terms make it more precise?

Btw, this is the one of the sequences that I'm currently working on.. Just by inspecting it, I could tell that its close to 4^x

I guess you could check that by doing 4^11-4^10 and checking it with d(4^x)/dx at x=10 then doing the same with 4^12-4^11 and checking it with d(4^x)/dx at x=11

The thing of it is, even if it did converge to at infinity, that definition would presumably be less than useful at values of x less than infinity. I'm not trying to contradict what you guys are doing in class, I'm just throwing out my honest opinion. Perhaps this is a good point for someone else to chime in here.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
The thing of it is, even if it did converge to at infinity, that definition would presumably be less than useful at values of x less than infinity. I'm not trying to contradict what you guys are doing in class, I'm just throwing out my honest opinion. Perhaps this is a good point for someone else to chime in here.[/QUOTE}
It's ok, I'm not looking for the 100% precise function that makes these sequences, I just want to have an approximate rate of growth and it is asymptotic to this approximation as x -> infnity.

True, it does seem to approach f'(x) as x approaches infinity, for x's close to infinity.

Related to How to approximate the rate of growth of an integer sequence?

1. How do you determine the rate of growth of an integer sequence?

To determine the rate of growth of an integer sequence, you can use the formula for finding the difference between consecutive terms. This is known as the "common difference" and can give you an idea of how much the sequence is increasing or decreasing by with each term.

2. What is the significance of finding the rate of growth of an integer sequence?

Knowing the rate of growth of an integer sequence can help you predict future terms in the sequence and understand the behavior of the sequence. It can also be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as analyzing data trends or solving equations.

3. Can the rate of growth of an integer sequence change over time?

Yes, the rate of growth of an integer sequence can change over time. It may start off increasing or decreasing at a steady rate, but then the rate may change as the sequence continues. It is important to regularly monitor and analyze the sequence to accurately determine its rate of growth.

4. Are there any tools or techniques to help approximate the rate of growth of an integer sequence?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can help approximate the rate of growth of an integer sequence. These include graphing the sequence, using regression analysis, and applying mathematical formulas or algorithms specifically designed for finding the rate of growth of a sequence.

5. Can the rate of growth of an integer sequence be negative?

Yes, the rate of growth of an integer sequence can be negative. This means that the sequence is decreasing instead of increasing. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the rate of growth when analyzing a sequence in order to accurately interpret its behavior.