How to approx. Total pressures and Flow (CFM)

• Thread starter aero_ub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm Flow
In summary, the conversation discusses a system with two parallel fans pulling air through cooling coils. One fan is running and the other is isolated by backdraft dampers. The flow through the unit is 842,770 CFM with a total pressure of 0.853" wg. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the backdraft dampers failing and allowing air to enter through the second fan, and how to approximate the new total pressure and resulting airflow. The conversation suggests using the manufacturer's "curve" for the fans and determining flow resistance through either summing resistances or using the Darcy Weisbach equation. It also mentions finding the point where the flow will cross the fan curve for a single fan.
aero_ub
Here is and Example.

There is a system with 2-20ft dia. fans, in parallel, pulling air through a bunch of cooling coils with a cross-sectional area of about 800 ft^2.

One fan is running and the other is isolated by backdraft dampers. In this situation the flow through the unit is 842,770 CFM and a total pressure (static + velocity) of 0.853" wg.

If the backdraft dampers on the second fan failed and air was allowed to enter through the second 20' Dia. by 10' high fan stack into the unit...how can I approx. the new total pressure inside the unit and the resulting airflow. Also what % of that air is coming through the coils and what % is coming through the open 'hole' in the unit?

Thanks for any input
aero

Engineering news on Phys.org
Very briefly, fans have a characteristic "curve" which you can obtain from the manufacturer. You need to determine the flow resistance which you can do two ways, either by summing the resistances as given per Crane #410 or by using the Darcy Weisbach equation and determining the resistance from your known flow and pressure drop.
the flow through the unit is 842,770 CFM and a total pressure (static + velocity) of 0.853" wg.
I'd suggest doing it both ways and see if they come out close, then trying to pin down a usable number for resistance.

Once you have the resistance, you simply put that back into the equation for flow and find the point where that flow will cross your fan curve for a single fan. I realize that's a very brief, so if you don't understand any part of that let me know and I'll clarify.

engr

To approximate the total pressure and flow in this scenario, you can use the fan laws, specifically the continuity equation and the pressure rise equation. The continuity equation states that the mass flow rate through a system is constant, so we can use it to calculate the new flow rate through the unit. The pressure rise equation states that the total pressure rise across a fan is proportional to the fan speed squared, so we can use it to calculate the new total pressure inside the unit.

First, we need to determine the new flow rate through the unit. Since the mass flow rate is constant, we can set the initial flow rate (842,770 CFM) equal to the new flow rate (Q) and solve for Q. This will give us the new flow rate through the unit, which will be a combination of the air coming through the coils and the air coming through the open hole in the unit.

Next, we can use the pressure rise equation to calculate the new total pressure inside the unit. We know that the initial total pressure is 0.853" wg, and we can assume that the fan speed remains constant. Therefore, we can set the initial total pressure equal to the new total pressure (P) and solve for P. This will give us the new total pressure inside the unit.

To determine the percentage of air coming through the coils and the open hole, we can use the continuity equation again. We know the new flow rate (Q) and we can calculate the flow rate through the coils by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the coils (800 ft^2) by the velocity of the air. The remaining flow rate will be the air coming through the open hole. We can then calculate the percentage of air coming through each by dividing the flow rate through the coils and the open hole by the total flow rate (Q).

Overall, using the fan laws and the continuity equation, we can approximate the new total pressure and flow in this scenario and determine the percentage of air coming through the coils and the open hole.

Related to How to approx. Total pressures and Flow (CFM)

1. How do I calculate the total pressure?

To calculate the total pressure, you need to know the static pressure and the velocity pressure. The equation for total pressure is P(total) = P(static) + P(velocity). Static pressure can be measured using a manometer, and velocity pressure can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation.

2. What is the unit of measurement for total pressure?

The unit of measurement for total pressure is usually expressed in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or inches of water column (inH2O).

3. How do I convert total pressure to flow (CFM)?

To convert total pressure to flow, you will need to know the cross-sectional area of the duct or pipe where the pressure is being measured. The equation for flow is Q = A x V, where Q is flow, A is cross-sectional area, and V is velocity. Velocity can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation and the unit of flow is typically expressed in cubic feet per minute (CFM).

4. Can I use a flow meter to measure total pressure?

No, a flow meter measures volume flow rate, not total pressure. To measure total pressure, you will need to use a pressure gauge or a manometer.

5. How do I ensure accurate measurements of total pressure and flow?

To ensure accurate measurements, it is important to calibrate your equipment regularly and to follow proper measurement techniques. This includes taking multiple readings and calculating an average, ensuring proper placement of the measuring instrument, and accounting for any potential sources of error in the measurement process.