How To Approach Units and Problem Solving Questions?

In summary, you should be concerned about knowing the exact measurement to solve the problems if it is in a physical quantity. If the question is not in a physical quantity then you can usually Google the value.
Wiggins2Magic
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to learn physics on my own and I'm doing the chapter review questions at the end of the chapter. Right now, I'm on units and problem solving. My question to you guys is should I be concerned about actually knowing the exact measurement to solve the problems, or is it okay for me to Google the measurements and then solve them?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wiggins2Magic said:
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to learn physics on my own and I'm doing the chapter review questions at the end of the chapter. Right now, I'm on units and problem solving. My question to you guys is should I be concerned about actually knowing the exact measurement to solve the problems, or is it okay for me to Google the measurements and then solve them?

Thanks

What measurements exactly are you talking about? I am bit confused as to exactly what you are asking for. If you are talking about constants such as the speed of light in a vacuum, then usually the question will tell you what to you use for that value.

Can you rephrase the question?

Are you asking if you need to memorise the units for some physical quantities? If that is the question then the answer is yes.

If you are asking do you need to know the value of constants then probably not. Usually the question will give you that value of constants you need or you can look them up.

You certainly need to know what the "physical quantity" means and I don't see how you can do that without knowing its units.

Some units and constants are worth remembering some are not. It is hard to generalize. Certainly you should know things like 1 km= 1000m and 32°F=0°C. I don't know what books some of you are reading. You mean in such books they say things like "you might need to use pi in this question use the value 3.14" I do not think that is usual.

Related to How To Approach Units and Problem Solving Questions?

1. How can I approach units in problem solving?

When approaching units in problem solving, it is important to first identify the units given in the problem and the units required for the solution. Then, convert the given units into the required units using conversion factors or unit conversion equations. Finally, check your final answer to ensure that the units are correct.

2. What are some common unit conversion factors?

Some common unit conversion factors include: 1 meter = 100 centimeters, 1 kilogram = 1000 grams, 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, 1 hour = 60 minutes, and 1 day = 24 hours. It is important to memorize and understand these conversion factors for efficient problem solving.

3. How do I know which unit conversion equation to use?

The unit conversion equation used depends on the relationship between the given units and the required units. For example, to convert from kilometers to meters, you would use the equation 1 kilometer = 1000 meters. It is important to pay attention to the units and their relationships in order to choose the correct conversion equation.

4. What should I do if I am unsure of the correct units to use?

If you are unsure of the correct units to use, go back to the basics. Review the fundamental units of measurement for length, mass, time, and other quantities. Also, consider the context of the problem and what units would make the most sense in that scenario.

5. How can I check my work when solving unit conversion problems?

To check your work, make sure that the units in your final answer make sense. For example, if the question asks for the mass of an object in grams, your answer should be in units of grams. Additionally, you can use estimation to quickly check if your answer is reasonable. For example, if you are converting from kilometers to meters, you know that your final answer should be a larger number since 1 kilometer is equal to 1000 meters.