How Thick Is the Paint on the Room's Walls?

In summary, using 3.0 gallons of paint to cover the walls of a room measuring 12m by 12m by 8m, without windows or doors, results in a layer of paint with a thickness of 3.0 x 10-5m. This can be found by dividing the converted volume of paint (0.01137m3) by the surface area of the walls (384m2).
tensirk

Homework Statement

You use exactly 3.0 gallons of paint to paint the walls of a room that measures 12 meters long by 12 meters wide by 8.0 meters high. How thick is the layer of paint that you put on the four walls? (No windows or doors) Use the conversion 1 gallon = 3.79 x 10-3m3.

Homework Equations

Possibly:
Surface Area of a Rectangular Prism = 2ab + 2bc + 2ac
or
Volume of a Rectangular Prism = a b c
or Thickness= V/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the 3 gallons to m3 and got .01137 m3. I just am not really sure what to do next. I've tried playing around with the different formulas above, but nothing seems to come out right. The answer is supposed to be 3.0 x 10-5m. Seems like this question should be really easy...and it's making me feel really dumb for being unable to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know that the area of the walls times the thickness of the paint folm is a volume, and you know what that volume is,

V = 3 * [1 gallon = 3.79 x 10-3m3] = A * t

A = 12*8 + 12*8 + 12*8 + 12*8

Solve for t

Good luck!

tensirk said:

Homework Statement

You use exactly 3.0 gallons of paint to paint the walls of a room that measures 12 meters long by 12 meters wide by 8.0 meters high. How thick is the layer of paint that you put on the four walls? (No windows or doors) Use the conversion 1 gallon = 3.79 x 10-3m3.

Homework Equations

Possibly:
Surface Area of a Rectangular Prism = 2ab + 2bc + 2ac
or
Volume of a Rectangular Prism = a b c
or Thickness= V/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the 3 gallons to m3 and got .01137 m3. I just am not really sure what to do next. I've tried playing around with the different formulas above, but nothing seems to come out right. The answer is supposed to be 3.0 x 10-5m. Seems like this question should be really easy...and it's making me feel really dumb for being unable to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Don't forget you are not painting the roof or floor. What is the area of the walls? Area x Thickness = Volume of paint. It works out...

Related to How Thick Is the Paint on the Room's Walls?

1. What is the difference between thickness, volume, and area?

Thickness refers to the distance between two surfaces of an object, while volume is the amount of space that an object occupies, and area is the measure of the surface of an object. In other words, thickness is a one-dimensional measurement, volume is a three-dimensional measurement, and area is a two-dimensional measurement.

2. How do you calculate the thickness, volume, and area of an object?

The formula for calculating thickness is thickness = length/width, where length and width are the dimensions of an object. The formula for calculating volume is volume = length x width x height, where length, width, and height are the dimensions of an object. The formula for calculating area depends on the shape of the object, for example, the formula for calculating the area of a rectangle is area = length x width.

3. Are thickness, volume, and area the same for all objects?

No, thickness, volume, and area can vary depending on the size, shape, and dimensions of an object. For example, a cube and a sphere can have the same volume, but their thickness and area will be different.

4. Why are thickness, volume, and area important in science?

Thickness, volume, and area are important in science because they are fundamental measurements used to describe and analyze objects and their properties. They help scientists understand the structure, composition, and behavior of different substances and materials.

5. Can the thickness, volume, or area of an object change?

Yes, the thickness, volume, and area of an object can change. For example, if an object is cut or stretched, its thickness and volume will change, and if its shape is altered, its area will change. Changes in temperature, pressure, and other factors can also affect the thickness, volume, and area of an object.