How should I calculate uncertainties?

In summary, to calculate the uncertainty for a function involving a square root, we can use the first formula mentioned and follow the steps outlined above.
Darkmisc

Homework Statement

I'm writing up a prac, which involves calculating the uncertainty for 1/(xy)^0.5.

There are two formulas that I think apply:

Homework Equations

For R = xy, u(R)/R = u(x)/x + u(y)/y

and

using differentials in calculus

dR = (dR/dx)dx + (dR/dy)dy [note that dR/dr and dR/dy are partials]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the latter formula in a calculus textbook. It does not appear in the lab manual. However, I'm thrown by the fact that R depends on the square root of xy. I'm not sure if the first formula applies in this case.

Does anyone know the right approach?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! Calculating uncertainty for a function that involves a square root can be tricky, but it can be done using the first formula you mentioned. In this case, we can rewrite the function as R = (xy)^0.5 and use the following steps to calculate the uncertainty:

1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation: ln(R) = 0.5ln(xy)
2. Use the chain rule to find the uncertainty in ln(R): u(ln(R)) = 0.5[(u(x)/x)+(u(y)/y)]
3. Convert back to the original function by raising e to the power of both sides: R = e^(ln(R))
4. Use the uncertainty in ln(R) to find the uncertainty in R: u(R)/R = u(ln(R))/ln(R)
5. Substitute in the expression for u(ln(R)) from step 2: u(R)/R = 0.5[(u(x)/x)+(u(y)/y)]
6. Finally, rearrange the equation to solve for u(R): u(R) = R[0.5(u(x)/x)+0.5(u(y)/y)]

Using this approach, you can calculate the uncertainty for 1/(xy)^0.5 by plugging in the values for R, x, and y. I hope this helps and good luck with your prac!

Related to How should I calculate uncertainties?

1. What is the purpose of calculating uncertainties?

The purpose of calculating uncertainties is to determine the level of accuracy and precision in a measurement or calculation. This helps to assess the reliability of the data and make informed decisions based on the results.

2. What are the different types of uncertainties?

The two main types of uncertainties are random and systematic. Random uncertainties occur due to variations in measurements, while systematic uncertainties are caused by flaws in the measuring instrument or method.

3. How do I calculate random uncertainties?

Random uncertainties are typically calculated by finding the standard deviation of a set of measurements. This can be done using statistical software or by hand using the formula √(∑(x-x̄)²/n), where x is the individual measurement, x̄ is the mean of the measurements, and n is the number of measurements.

4. What is the formula for calculating systematic uncertainties?

The formula for calculating systematic uncertainties depends on the specific source of the uncertainty. For example, if the uncertainty is due to a calibration error, it can be calculated by multiplying the uncertainty of the calibration by the sensitivity of the measuring instrument. It is important to identify and carefully consider all potential sources of systematic uncertainty in order to accurately calculate it.

5. How can I reduce uncertainties in my measurements?

There are several ways to reduce uncertainties in measurements, including using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and improving the experimental procedure. It is also important to carefully identify and account for all potential sources of uncertainty in order to minimize their impact on the results. Collaborating with other scientists and comparing results can also help to reduce uncertainties.