How Should Error Bars Be Placed in an Ohm's Law Lab Graph?

• Thread starter fomenkoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, Anton is asking for advice on how to add error bars to a Voltage vs Current graph for an Ohm's law lab. The fixed resistor used in the lab has a tolerance of 5% and Anton is unsure whether to add X-error bars, Y-error bars, or both. The responder suggests that the error bars should reflect the precision of the current and voltage measurements, using 1/10 of the smallest scale division for analog meters and 1/2 of the smallest unit for digital meters. The tolerance of the resistor should not be factored into the graph and the slope of the graph should be used to estimate the resistance and compared to the marked value on the resistor. If they are within the tolerance, the results
fomenkoa
Hey everyone.

I am doing an Ohm's law lab where there is a variable source, a fixed resistor, a voltmeter across the resistor, and an ammeter in series with the resistor.

The fixed resistor is an unknown value but has a tolerance of 5%

You need to figure out its value by plotting Voltage VS Current and the slope of the graph is resistance.

My question is...I need to add error bars to the graph but I don't know where to put them...the x-axis is current and the y-axis is voltage, so would I put X-error bars of 5%, or Y-error bars of 5%, or both?

My guess is that since the resistor has tolerance of 5%, and resistance depends on Voltage and current, both x and y axes need to have 5% error bars

Thanks,
Anton.

Physics news on Phys.org
You measured the current and voltage using two meters, right? In that case, the error bars should reflect how well you can measure each of those quantities. If they're analog meters, I usually try to interpolate to 1/10 of the smallest scale division, and use that 1/10 for the uncertainty. If they're digital meters, I usually use 1/2 of the smallest unit on the display. In either case, if the reading fluctuates visibly, I try to eyeball a +/- range.

The tolerance on the resistor shouldn't figure into the graph itself at all. Measure the slope of the graph to estimate the resistance, and then compare that with the value marked on the resistor. If they're closer than the tolerance, you're OK.

[added: If you really don't know the "actual" value of the resistance, or at least aren't supposed to know, then I don't see how the tolerance could come into this at all.]

Last edited:

Hello Anton,

You are correct in thinking that both the x and y axes should have 5% error bars. This is because the tolerance of the resistor affects both the voltage and current measurements, which in turn affect the calculated resistance. Adding error bars to both axes will give a more accurate representation of the potential range of values for the resistance.

When adding the error bars, make sure to include both the positive and negative values. For example, if the measured voltage is 5V with a 5% error, the error bar would extend from 4.75V to 5.25V. This will show the potential range of values for the voltage measurement.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

Related to How Should Error Bars Be Placed in an Ohm's Law Lab Graph?

1. What is resistor tolerance/error?

Resistor tolerance or error is the amount of deviation from the stated or expected resistance value of a resistor. It is expressed as a percentage and indicates the acceptable range of resistance for a given resistor.

2. How is resistor tolerance/error measured?

Resistor tolerance is typically measured using a multimeter, which measures the resistance of the resistor and calculates the percentage difference from the stated value. It can also be measured using a resistance decade box.

3. What causes resistor tolerance/error?

There are several factors that can contribute to resistor tolerance/error, including manufacturing variations, temperature changes, and aging. Additionally, the material used and the precision of the manufacturing process can also affect the tolerance of a resistor.

4. Why is resistor tolerance/error important?

Resistor tolerance/error is important because it can affect the overall performance of a circuit. If a resistor has a higher tolerance, it may not provide the desired resistance and can lead to inaccurate readings or malfunctions in the circuit. Therefore, it is important to select resistors with the appropriate tolerance for a given application.

5. How do I choose a resistor with the right tolerance?

When selecting a resistor, it is important to consider the tolerance needed for the specific application. This can be determined by calculating the maximum acceptable deviation from the desired resistance value, and choosing a resistor with a tolerance that falls within this range. Additionally, resistors with tighter tolerances are typically more expensive, so the cost should also be taken into consideration.