How reliable are logarithm tables?

• B
  • Thread starter M Saad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    logarithm
In summary, Today I came across a high school math book which has a particular problem in the logarithms chapter. The book has a calculation of $ \log_{10}{0.2913} $ as -1.4643, but when trying to verify with a calculator, a different value of -0.53566 is obtained. However, the log table attached at the end of the book agrees with the book's calculation. Further research online shows that the book's calculation is correct, and there may be a misunderstanding of the "bar" notation used in the book. The "bar" notation is used to represent the number of decade shifts and the basic log of a number in the range of 1 to 10. While this
M Saad
Today I came across a high school math book which has a particular problem in the logarithms chapter. It has
$$ \log_{10}{0.2913} = -1.4643 $$
Trying to verify it with a calculator, I get -0.53566. There's a log table attached at the end which agrees with the calculation made in the book. To make sure there wasn't a typo, I looked up online for the common logarithm table and found tables that agree with it. Trying to verify the book's calculation, I got (with a calculator)
$$ 10^{-1.4643} = 0.034332 $$
Now am I missing something or is it something wrong with the logarithm tables I have? Admittedly, it has been a very long time since I last calculated logarithms using a table.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is a very odd error, as it is off by nearly (but not exactly) 1. Are the logarithm values next to it wrong in a similar way?
Does your logarithm table really have exactly this entry?

It is off for the next value in the same problem too. It calculates $$ \log_{10}{0.004236} $$ as -3.6269 while with a calculator I get -2.373044.
Even weirder is that it proceeds to add the two logarithms (which it calculated as -1.4643 and -3.6269) to get -3.0912. Then it proceeds to take the anti-log of -3.0912 and gets 0.001234 (while with a calculator I get $$ 10^{-3.0912} = 0.0008106 $$). At this point I stopped taking the book seriously but thought I'd make sure whether it's a problem with me or the book before I explain it to my friend. o0)

It's written in what we called 'bar' notation in school .

Roughly : number of decade shifts + basic log of number in range 1 to 10

0.4643 is the log of 2.913

log of 0.2913 = -1 + 0.4643 = - 0.5357

You can see why this works :

log 0.2913 = log 2.913 - log 10

Likes FactChecker, mfb and M Saad
Nidum said:
It's written in what we called 'bar' notation in school .

Roughly : number of decade shifts + basic log of number in range 1 to 10

0.4643 is the log of 2.913

log of 0.2913 = -1 + 0.4643 = - 0.5357

You can see why this works :

log 0.2913 = log 2.913 - log 10
Oh. So the bar isn't actually a negative? Why would they decide to write it this way? o_O

Last edited:
Are there cases where the bar notation is useful other than confusing poor unsuspecting readers?

It greatly reduces the number of log values that are needed in tables . All you need are logs for numbers in range 1 to 10 .

There are also some small advantages in making calculations more systematic and in reducing chance of order of magnitude errors in final answers .

Likes M Saad and symbolipoint
Conventionally written down like this :
NEWNEWBAR.jpg

Likes jim mcnamara and M Saad

Related to How reliable are logarithm tables?

1. How accurate are logarithm tables?

Logarithm tables are typically very accurate, with most values being correct up to several decimal places. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the method used to calculate the values and the number of significant figures included.

2. Are logarithm tables still used today?

While logarithm tables were widely used in the past, they are not as commonly used today due to the availability of calculators and computers which can quickly and accurately calculate logarithms.

3. Can logarithm tables be used for all numbers?

No, logarithm tables are typically only available for a limited range of numbers, usually from 1 to 10 or 1 to 100. This is because the values in the table are precalculated and cannot account for all possible numbers.

4. Are logarithm tables completely reliable?

Logarithm tables are generally reliable, but they are not infallible. Errors can occur during the calculation or printing of the tables, and there may be inconsistencies between different tables. Additionally, human error can also play a role in the accuracy of the values.

5. Are there alternative methods for calculating logarithms?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating logarithms, such as using a scientific calculator, a computer program, or mathematical formulas. These methods may be more accurate and efficient than using logarithm tables.