How Much Work is Required to Stop a Rotating Wheel in 15.0s?

In summary, a 32.0 kg wheel with a radius of 1.20 m and rotating at 280 rev/min needs to be brought to a stop in 15.0 seconds. To calculate the work required to stop it, torque must be found using the equation τ = Fr. This leads to the equation W = τd, where d is the distance the torque acts over. The required average power can be found using the formula Ρ = τω, where ω is the angular velocity. In order to find the torque, the acceleration must be calculated using the equation ωf = ωi + αt, where α is the angular acceleration. After plugging in the values, the calculated acceleration is -
bearhug
A 32.0 kg wheel, essentially a thin hoop with radius 1.20 m is rotating at 280 rev/min. It must be brought to a stop in 15.0s (a) How much work must be done to stop it?
t=15.0s
m=32.0kg
r=1.20m
ω= 29.3 rad/s after conversion
I need to find W

I think I need to find torque in order to find work. Would torque τ=Fr
F=ma so F=32.0kg(9.8m/s^2)= 313.6 N τ=313.6(1.20m)=376.3
Is this the right approach, if it is what equation should I use to find W. The equation in my book is an integral does that sound right? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure on this one, but I know that [tex]KE = \frac {1} {2} I\omega^2[/tex] where I is the moment of inertia (in the case of a thin hoop it is mr^2).

I also imagine that Wnet = change in KE still applies in this situation, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for writing that out I was able to figure it out using what you wrote.

What is the required average power to do this? The answer to the previous question is 1.98e4 J.
Ρ= τω for power
so I have to find torque which is τ= Fd
F=ma so τ= mad
so Ρ= (mad)(29.3rad/s)
First of all is this right? What I'm getting stuck at is that I don't think a=g (9.8) in this situation so I have to calculate a using ωf = ωi + αt
0= 29.3 + α(15s)
α= -1.95rad/s^2
and plug that in for acceleration with distance= 1.2m

Can anyone let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Related to How Much Work is Required to Stop a Rotating Wheel in 15.0s?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can be linear, circular, or oscillating.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement around an axis. Linear motion can be measured by distance or displacement, while rotational motion can be measured by angle or angular displacement.

3. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the spinning of a figure skater.

4. What factors affect rotational motion?

The factors that affect rotational motion include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, the force applied, and the moment of inertia, which is the resistance of an object to rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion used in real life?

Rotational motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in automobiles for the movement of wheels, in construction for the use of cranes and pulleys, and in sports for activities like throwing a ball or swinging a bat. It is also used in machinery and robotics for tasks that require precision and control.