How Much Work is Done Moving an Object Against a Spring Force?

In summary: The mass was at rest at x2 > x1, and the spring exerted a force of 1.25 J on it to move it from x1 to x2. So the work done was 1.25 J.
pxp004
An object with inertia m = 1.5 kg is connected to a spring with spring constant k = 250 N/m and equilibrium position at x0 = 5 cm (for x > x0, the force is directed toward the origin). The object is initially at rest at position x = 10 cm. You grab the object and move it slowly to position x = 20 cm. After you finish moving it, you continue to hold the object at rest at its new position. How much work did you do on the object? I know the main equations but i just done know what to do. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You know the main equations, so a good first step is to write them down.

You need to know - conservation of energy, work-energy relation, potential energy stored in a spring.

could you help me get started. With what equation? and I'm kinda confused on the 3 distances given.

If it requires force kx to move a mass M as distance x, then the work necessary will be [itex](1/2)kx^2[/itex]. Is that the formula you needed?

Lets see - the three distances are:
x0, the equilibrium position.
x1, the initial position
x2, the final position

what's the problem?

If the mass were at x0, how much force would the spring exert on it?

The mass was at rest at x1 > x0, how much force does did spring exert on it? What was the total force on it? What do you deduce from that?

You moved the mass from x1 to x2 > x1 ...

Did you guys get 1.25 J as the answer. And if so, why did it give me the mass of. And how does that not affect work done?

My thought process: work is the change in energy which in this case is the change in potential (atleast I think it is). So I used the equation 1/2 kx squared.

Notice that the mass starts off at rest at a position that is not the equilibrium position?
What would you deduce from that information?

Related to How Much Work is Done Moving an Object Against a Spring Force?

1. What is the definition of work and energy?

Work is defined as the application of a force over a distance, resulting in a change in energy. Energy is the ability to do work, and it can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electric.

2. How are work and energy related?

Work and energy are closely related because work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, its energy changes. Similarly, when an object does work, it gains or loses energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating work?

The equation for calculating work is W = F*d*cos(theta), where W is work (in joules), F is the force applied (in newtons), d is the distance over which the force is applied (in meters), and theta is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. How is the work-energy theorem used to solve problems?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This theorem can be used to solve problems involving the relationship between work and energy, such as finding the speed of an object after a certain amount of work is done on it.

5. What are some real-life applications of work and energy?

Work and energy have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as using a bicycle to transport oneself (work is done by pedaling), using a hammer to drive a nail into a wall (work is done by the force of the hammer), and using a toaster to heat up bread (electrical energy is converted into thermal energy).