How much must the spring be compressed? helppp

In summary, the conversation involves finding the amount of compression needed for a spring to launch a package from an airless asteroid with a specific speed. This requires calculating the escape speed, kinetic energy, and potential energy due to gravity and the spring. The final answer is approximately 3.85 meters.
ohheytai
how much must the spring be compressed?!? helppp

A package of mass 9 kg sits at the equator of an airless asteroid of mass 3.0x10^20 kg and radius 2.1x 10^5 m. We want to launch the package in such a way that it will never come back, and when it is very far from the asteroid it will be traveling with speed 179 m/s. We have a large and powerful spring whose stiffness is 2.3x10^5 N/m. How much must we compress the spring?

i can't get this someone please help me this is my work
escape speed:
v = sqrt(2GM/R); Where:
G = 6.673 E-11 [m³ / (kg-s²)]; Gravitational Constant
M = 3.0 E+20 kg; Mass of asteroid
R = 2.1 E+5 m; Radius of asteroid

v = sqrt[ 2 * 6.673 E10^(-11) [m³ / (kg-s²)] * 3.0 E10^20 kg ÷ (2.1 E10^5 m) ]
v = 1.9066 E5 m²/s²
v = 437 m/s

E = 1/2 m v²
E = 1/2 (9 kg) (437 m/s + 179 m/s)²
E = 4.5 kg (379496 m²/s²)
E = 1,707,500 J

E = 1/2 kx²
1.708 E6 kg m²/s² = 1/2 (2.3 E5 kg/s²) x²
14.85 m² = x²
x = 3.85m

Physics news on Phys.org

ohheytai said:
A package of mass 9 kg sits at the equator of an airless asteroid of mass 3.0x10^20 kg and radius 2.1x 10^5 m. We want to launch the package in such a way that it will never come back, and when it is very far from the asteroid it will be traveling with speed 179 m/s. We have a large and powerful spring whose stiffness is 2.3x10^5 N/m. How much must we compress the spring?

i can't get this someone please help me this is my work
escape speed:
v = sqrt(2GM/R); Where:
G = 6.673 E-11 [m³ / (kg-s²)]; Gravitational Constant
M = 3.0 E+20 kg; Mass of asteroid
R = 2.1 E+5 m; Radius of asteroid

v = sqrt[ 2 * 6.673 E10^(-11) [m³ / (kg-s²)] * 3.0 E10^20 kg ÷ (2.1 E10^5 m) ]
v = 1.9066 E5 m²/s²
v = 437 m/s

E = 1/2 m v²
E = 1/2 (9 kg) (437 m/s + 179 m/s)²
Your error starts here. It's incorrect to simply add the escape speed to the final desired speed.
E = 4.5 kg (379496 m²/s²)
E = 1,707,500 J

E = 1/2 kx²
1.708 E6 kg m²/s² = 1/2 (2.3 E5 kg/s²) x²
14.85 m² = x²
x = 3.85m
There are three forms of energy at play here: due to gravity, due to the spring, and kinetic energy. Using that, can you set up an equation from Einitial=Efinal?

Related to How much must the spring be compressed? helppp

1. How do I calculate how much a spring must be compressed?

To calculate how much a spring must be compressed, you will need to know the spring constant (k) and the force applied to the spring (F). The formula for calculating compression is x = F/k, where x is the compression distance. Make sure to use consistent units for both the force and spring constant.

2. What is the spring constant and how do I find it?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is usually measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m). To find the spring constant, you can use the formula k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the resulting compression distance.

3. Can I compress a spring too much?

Yes, it is possible to compress a spring too much. Every spring has a maximum compression limit, which is the point where the spring cannot be compressed any further without causing damage or permanent deformation. It is important to know the maximum compression limit of a spring before attempting to compress it.

4. How does the material of the spring affect the amount of compression?

The material of the spring does affect the amount of compression it can undergo. Different materials have different stiffness and strength properties, which will affect the spring constant and the maximum compression limit. For example, a steel spring will have a higher spring constant and can be compressed further compared to a rubber spring.

5. Is there a way to measure the compression of a spring without applying a force?

Yes, it is possible to measure the compression of a spring without applying a force. This can be done by measuring the length of the spring when it is in its relaxed state and then measuring the length again when a force is applied. The difference in length between the two measurements is the compression distance.