How much lbf is required to lift 300lbs

• Thread starter Certainty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, the pizza chair will require 400lbs of thrust to hover at a rate of 10-20inches. It will not float in place if it is not accelerating. If you want to lift it off the ground, you will need more than 400lbs of force.
Certainty
15inches above ground ; hovering, stabilizing system is assumed in the system.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How quickly does it need to travel those 15 inches?

That aside, the minimum required is a hair over 300 lb.

to make it hover at a rate , right at 10-20inches,

300lb

0 lb in free fall on, say, the space station. ~50lb on the Moon. :-p

I see, So I have a Ball which is 6ft high 6ft in width and weights 400lbs,; you're saying it requires 300lbf to maintain a height of 15 inches above a flat surface(ground)

No, 400lbs if the ball weighs 400lbs (on earth). Height is not relevant.

I see, umm analogy 1, a chair in a form of a 75 % of sphere or circle or a pie(pizza 12 slices) with 4 slices taken out. weights 400lbs , 3 engines 1 in middle 2 on side for stabilizing 10-20 inches above a flat surface. you saying it requires 400lbs of thrust for that?

The amount of force it requires is the same amount that it weighs. So the shape, size, material, color, bling or religious significance is irrelevant...if it weighs 400lbs then it will require 400lbs of force. If it weighs 47901.87lbs, then it will require 47901.87lbs of force to keep it hovering.

Do you really have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering?

pantaz said:
How quickly does it need to travel those 15 inches?

You have a good designer's mind :smile:

Certainty said:
I see, umm analogy 1, a chair in a form of a 75 % of sphere or circle or a pie(pizza 12 slices) with 4 slices taken out. weights 400lbs , 3 engines 1 in middle 2 on side for stabilizing 10-20 inches above a flat surface. you saying it requires 400lbs of thrust for that?

A jet engined pizza chair that weighs 400lbs? Kay.

To hover it will need 400lbs thrust. To raise it you need to overcome gravity, any thrust that exceeds the force due to gravity will keep raising it. As fuel is used it will gradually require less thrust to hold it in the same place because it weighs less.

Lsos said:
The amount of force it requires is the same amount that it weighs. So the shape, size, material, color, bling or religious significance is irrelevant...if it weighs 400lbs then it will require 400lbs of force. If it weighs 47901.87lbs, then it will require 47901.87lbs of force to keep it hovering.

Do you really have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering?

I Understand it requires the same amount of thrust;weight to counter gravity But you did not read what I asked properly... I said 10-20inches above ground. I do not have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering but I will ;

Last edited:
Certainty said:
I Understand it requires the same amount of thrust;weight to counter gravity But you did not read what I asked properly... I said 10-20inches above ground. I do not have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering but I will ;
Have you taken freshman physics? That is pretty much the level of understanding needed here. If the object is to be floating in place, then it is not accelerating, therefore the net force is zero -- no matter how high off the ground it is.

Oh I see , it never hurts to know too much, thanks now I need to design a stabilizing system for the pizza chair

Yea, if you have 400lbf of lift, you will be gravity-neutral. If you need to get it off the ground you need more than the 400lbf. How much more is determined by how fast you want to lift it. How fast you want to lift it will also affect how long you apply the extra force required, which will then determine how much of an overshoot you will see. (For example, you use 1000lbf of lift and shoot upward, you reduce the lift to 400lbf at 15in, but you will continue upward somewhat.

That being said. 401 lbf will give you net postive lift. But you sure as heck won't be breaking any speed records.

Well thank you fellows :D All of you guys input was worth reading 10folds

Related to How much lbf is required to lift 300lbs

1. How much is 300lbs in lbf?

300lbs is equivalent to 1334.6 newtons or 667.3 pounds-force (lbf).

2. What is the formula for converting lbs to lbf?

The formula for converting pounds (lbs) to pounds-force (lbf) is lbf = lbs x 4.448.

3. How does gravity affect the amount of lbf required to lift 300lbs?

The amount of lbf required to lift 300lbs is affected by the force of gravity. On Earth, the standard acceleration of gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that an object with a mass of 300lbs will experience a downward force of 2940 lbf due to gravity. Therefore, to lift 300lbs, an equal amount of force (2940 lbf) must be applied in the opposite direction.

4. Is 300lbs a reasonable weight to lift using only lbf?

It depends on the individual's strength and the type of lifting motion. For example, a weightlifter may be able to lift 300lbs using lbf, while a person with average strength may struggle to lift that weight using only lbf. In general, it is recommended to use proper lifting techniques and equipment to prevent injury when lifting heavy weights.

5. How does the force required to lift 300lbs using lbf compare to other units of force?

300lbs is equivalent to 1334.6 newtons, 667.3 pounds-force (lbf), and 30.5 kgf (kilogram-force). The amount of force required to lift 300lbs using lbf is relatively high compared to other units, but it is important to remember that the amount of force needed also depends on the individual's strength and the type of lifting motion.