How much gram of sorbitol, should I to weigh on the balance?

• Thread starter Cyrus the great
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the question asks for the amount of sorbitol needed to add to xylan to make it 30% of the total amount. There is confusion about whether xylan is the starch or in addition to the starch. The correct answer could be 1.96 grams or 1.38 grams of sorbitol, depending on the interpretation of the question.
Cyrus the great

Homework Statement

I have 4.6 gram of starch and I want to add 30 % of sorbitol to xylan. How much gram of sorbitol, should I weigh on the balance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear whether you are talking about xylan as your starch, or whether it is in addition to the starch and sorbitol.

It is also unclear whether you want to add 30% of the existing amount or whether you want sorbitol to be 30% of the total amount.

yes I meant xylan as my starch and I want sorbitol to be 30% of the total amount.

Let x be the amount of sorbitol to add, in grams.

Let T be total amount.

x = 0.3*T

But you can also express the total amount T in terms of x and the initial amount of starch.

Do that, substitute into the above equation, solve for x.

Double check that x is 30% of T.

I want to add 30 % sorbitol to my starch. Therefore, I calculated like below.
starch starch
70 100
4.6 X

X=4.6*100/70= 6.50 g. So, amount of sorbitol needed is 6.5-4.6=1.96 g

But If I do like your way X=4.6 * 0.3=1.38 gram

Now I have got confused. Which number is correct?

I want sorbitol to be 30% of the total amount. So if I have 70 % starch I have 4.6 g and if I want to have 100 % then how much starch it would be which becomes 6.5.

X=4.6*100/70= 6.57

Then I deducted 6.5 from 4.6 which it becomes 6.5-4.6=1.97 gram of sorbitol should be added to the starch.

Is my calculation correct?

Last edited:

Related to How much gram of sorbitol, should I to weigh on the balance?

1. How much sorbitol should I use in my experiment?

The amount of sorbitol needed for your experiment will depend on the specific purpose and conditions of your experiment. It is important to carefully consider the concentration and volume of your solution, as well as the intended outcome, before determining the appropriate amount of sorbitol to use. It is recommended to consult with your lab supervisor or refer to relevant literature for guidance.

2. What is the recommended weight of sorbitol for a specific volume of solution?

The recommended weight of sorbitol for a specific volume of solution can vary depending on the desired concentration. A general guideline is to use approximately 1 gram of sorbitol for every 10 milliliters of solution. However, it is important to note that this may not be appropriate for all experiments and it is best to consult with your lab supervisor for specific recommendations.

3. Can I use a different amount of sorbitol than what is recommended?

While it is generally recommended to follow the suggested guidelines for sorbitol usage, it is possible to use a different amount depending on the specific needs of your experiment. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential effects of using a different amount and to consult with your lab supervisor before making any changes.

4. How do I accurately weigh sorbitol on a balance?

To accurately weigh sorbitol on a balance, it is important to first calibrate the balance according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then, place a clean weighing boat or container on the balance and tare it to zero. Carefully add the desired amount of sorbitol to the container, making sure to avoid any spills or excess powder. Once the desired weight is reached, record the measurement and dispose of any excess sorbitol.

5. What is the appropriate unit of measurement for sorbitol on a balance?

Sorbitol is typically measured in grams (g) on a balance. It is important to use the appropriate unit of measurement to ensure accurate and consistent results. Other common units for measuring sorbitol include milligrams (mg) and kilograms (kg), but these may not be suitable for all experiments and should be carefully considered before use.