How Much Force is Needed to Stop a 1520kg Car in 57.5 Meters?

In summary, the problem involves a car with a mass of 1520kg traveling at a speed of 15.0 m/s. The task is to find the magnitude of the horizontal net force needed to bring the car to a halt at 57.5m. The approach involves finding the acceleration using the equation a= (V^2 - Vo^2)/2x. However, the resulting negative answer of -1.96 is incorrect as the negative sign should have been omitted when plugging it into the equation for net force (net force = m(a)). The correct answer is 2973.9 N.
BlackMamba
My problem invloves a car with a mass of 1520kg. It's traveling with a speed of 15.0 m/s. I'm asked to find the magnitude of the horizontal net force that is require to bring the car to a halt at 57.5m.

My reasoning begins, in that I think I should be finding the acceleration and once I've found the acceleration I can find the total force. But, this is producing a rather large number for me that is negative.

To find the acceleration I used the equation: a = V^2 - Vo^2 / 2x

Using that equation my answer was -1.96

I then plugged that into the equation for net force which was: net force = m(a)

Plugging in the variables I know in that got me the answer -2973.9 But I can't imagine that this is correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, nevermind. What I did was correct however, I should have been leaving out the negative sign. Sorry about this.

It looks like you are on the right track with using the equations for motion and force. However, there are a few things that may be causing your issue with getting a negative answer.

First, when using the equation a = (V^2 - Vo^2) / 2x, make sure to use the square of the initial velocity (Vo^2) and not just the initial velocity (Vo). So, the equation should be a = (V^2 - Vo^2) / 2x. This may be causing your answer to be negative.

Second, when plugging in the values for mass and acceleration into the equation net force = m(a), make sure to use the correct units. In this case, the mass should be in kilograms and the acceleration should be in meters per second squared. If you are using different units, this could also be causing your answer to be negative.

Lastly, it is important to consider the direction of the force. In this problem, the car is coming to a halt, which means the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the car's motion. This means the net force should be negative, as it is acting in the negative direction.

Overall, it is important to double check your equations and units to make sure everything is correct. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the problem down into smaller steps and solving each step separately. Good luck!

Related to How Much Force is Needed to Stop a 1520kg Car in 57.5 Meters?

1. What is motion?

Motion refers to the movement of an object from one position to another.

2. What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to change its motion or shape.

3. What is the relationship between motion and force?

Force is what causes motion. Without force, objects would remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.

4. How do we measure motion and force?

Motion can be measured using units such as distance, speed, and acceleration. Force can be measured using units such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. What are some common issues with motion and force?

Common issues with motion and force include friction, air resistance, and gravitational pull. These forces can affect the motion of an object and make it more difficult to accurately measure and predict its movement.