How much energy does a bicycle diname produces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using dynamos on a bicycle wheel to produce energy. The original question asks for an approximation of how much energy a normal dynamo can produce while the wheel is spinning at 10 km/h. The response explains that the amount of energy produced depends on the load and efficiency of the generator, and the amount of power a human can generate is likely much greater. The conversation then delves into the possibility of creating a perpetual motion machine with dynamos, and the response explains that this would violate the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation also discusses the various sources of friction and energy loss in such a system.
Veselin
So my question is actually really simple.I want to know approximately how much energy does a normal dynamo produce when a bicycle wheel is spinning (at let's say 10 km/h).Please answer me with a number not with a formula because I'm really bad at physics but i just want to test a theory of mine.

P.S: ah.I almost forgot. I want to know what friction does the dynamo make with the wheel.And for my comfort if you could tell me will this friction significantly slow the normal 10km/h and how much exactly ?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Veselin said:
So my question is actually really simple.I want to know approximately how much energy does a normal dynamo produce when a bicycle wheel is spinning (at let's say 10 km/h).Please answer me with a number not with a formula because I'm really bad at physics but i just want to test a theory of mine.

P.S: ah.I almost forgot. I want to know what friction does the dynamo make with the wheel.And for my comfort if you could tell me will this friction significantly slow the normal 10km/h and how much exactly ?

Thank you!
The force required to power the generator depends on the load. Let's assume it is 12 volts and draws one amp. This is 12 watts. If the generator is about 80% efficient, this means it is drawing 15 watts of power from your pedalling.

You would have to figure out how much power a human can generate but I expect it is significantly greater than that - probably 10 times that. The amount you would slow down would be the proportion that 15 watts is of the total power the person can output.

AM

Well actually I'm wondering if the following is possible. If you put enough dynamos on a bycicle wheel could they produce enough energy to keep the wheel spinning?A kind of a perpetuum mobile maybe?Why shoudn't it be possible when you can put many dynamos?But will the friction be so huge that they couldn't power the engine that has to spin the wheel?

Veselin said:
Well actually I'm wondering if the following is possible. If you put enough dynamos on a bycicle wheel could they produce enough energy to keep the wheel spinning?A kind of a perpetuum mobile maybe?Why shoudn't it be possible when you can put many dynamos?But will the friction be so huge that they couldn't power the engine that has to spin the wheel?
You will always have to input more energy than the machines produce. Machines are never perfect so it takes more energy to run them than they can produce. But even with a perfect machine, you could not get MORE energy out than you put in. This is the law of conservation of energy (which is also the first law of thermodynamics).

Furthermore, the human being is a thermodynamic engine. It produces kinetic energy (of the bicycle) by converting heat energy into mechanical work. The second law of thermodynamics says that you cannot convert all of the energy in heat into useable work.

So, in order to produce a perpetual motion machine you will first have to find some way to prove that the laws of physics are wrong: specifically, the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

AM

replying to veselin..

once the dynamo produces energy it will be used by the bicycle to move forward plus for rotation..the rotational energy will be used by the dynamo but the translational energy wl b lost into kinetic energy which will further be lost into friction. and plus there shall be internal friction in the machine too..

hence the wheel will stop after some time..

Related to How much energy does a bicycle diname produces?

1. How is energy produced in a bicycle dynamo?

In a bicycle dynamo, energy is produced through the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is achieved by rotating a magnet around a coil of wire, which induces an electric current in the wire.

2. How much energy can a bicycle dynamo produce?

The amount of energy produced by a bicycle dynamo depends on several factors, such as the speed at which the bicycle is traveling and the efficiency of the dynamo. On average, a bicycle dynamo can produce around 3-5 watts of power.

3. Can a bicycle dynamo power all the lights on a bicycle?

It is possible for a bicycle dynamo to power all the lights on a bicycle, but it depends on the power requirements of the lights and the output of the dynamo. Some dynamo systems may require additional batteries to power all the lights.

4. How does a bicycle dynamo affect the performance of a bicycle?

A bicycle dynamo adds some extra resistance to the bicycle's movement, which can slightly affect its performance. However, this resistance is typically minimal and does not significantly impact the overall performance of the bicycle.

5. Can a bicycle dynamo be used to charge electronic devices?

Some bicycle dynamos come with USB ports that allow for the charging of electronic devices, such as phones or GPS devices. However, the amount of energy produced may not be enough to fully charge these devices and the resistance to the bicycle's movement may increase.