How much does Earth's time dilation decrease with distance from the surface?

In summary, Earth's time dilation decreases as the distance from the surface increases. This was measured back in the early 1960s, and it was found that it would take someone 5.5 quintillion years to gain two hours if they were hovering 15 feet off the ground.
Exactly how much does Earth's time dilation decrease with distance from the surface?
I know that it's way to small to ever notice and probably even mesure with today's instruments, but I'm trying to calculate how many billionths or trillionths [or less] of a second a clock might run faster if it was only about 15 feet off the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
403036387 said:
Exactly how much does Earth's time dilation decrease with distance from the surface?
I know that it's way to small to ever notice and probably even mesure with today's instruments, but I'm trying to calculate how many billionths or trillionths [or less] of a second a clock might run faster if it was only about 15 feet off the ground.
Actually it was measure back in the earlu 60s if a famous experiment. It was done at Harvard University by Pound and Rebka.

Pet

really? that low? cool. you wouldn't happen to know how much it was...or where i could search to find it? I've been working out my own problems but seeing as i havn't even had high school physics yet, I'm not sure if it's anywhere near right.

I found somewhere where somebody at 1340 feet gained 22 nanoseconds.
so i did 1340:22= 15:x and x=4.6
so i put down ground time=1second and 15foottime=1second+4.6 nanoseconds.

what I'm really looking for in my end result is how long it would take you [how many LIFETIMES!] to catch up to your twin who was born two hours before you if you hovered 15 feet in the air.

so i found that there are 7.2x10^12 nanoseconds in two hours and i divided it by 4[number of nanoseconds gained per ground second] multiplyed by a billion to get seconds. divided by 60, 60, 24, and 365 to get 5,549,213,597,158 years to gain two hours.

i know that's a bit confusing...i apologize. is this completely wrong?

Related to How much does Earth's time dilation decrease with distance from the surface?

What is gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon in which time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational forces. This means that time passes at different rates depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

How does gravitational time dilation occur?

Gravitational time dilation occurs because of the effect of gravity on the fabric of space-time. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects such as planets or stars warp the fabric of space-time, causing time to pass at different rates in different locations.

What is an example of gravitational time dilation?

An example of gravitational time dilation is the difference in time measured by a clock on Earth's surface compared to a clock in orbit around the Earth. The clock in orbit will experience time passing slower due to the stronger gravitational force of the Earth.

How is gravitational time dilation measured?

Gravitational time dilation can be measured using precise clocks and measuring the difference in time between two locations with different levels of gravitational force. This has been confirmed through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and GPS satellites.

Does gravitational time dilation have any practical applications?

Yes, gravitational time dilation has practical applications in areas such as satellite communication and navigation. Without taking into account the effects of gravitational time dilation, GPS satellites would not be able to accurately determine locations on Earth.