How much Cold Water is needed?

In summary, the person is looking for a way to cool down 3-4 ounces of water from 70°C to 35-38°C, while still ending up with 8 ounces of water. They have already attempted using room temperature water (20-25°C) but the end result was 41°C and 46°C in their two trials. They are wondering if there is a specific formula or ratio to calculate the temperature needed to cool the water down to their desired range. Through a conversation, they realize that using 4 ounces of both 70°C and 20°C water will result in 8 ounces at 45°C, and thus they need water at around 3-4°C to achieve their desired temperature.
Vig16
I have a question about how to cool the water that's already in my cup. I already have 3-4 ounces of 70°C water in my cup and want to bring that overall temperature down to 35-38°C. The end solution needs to have 8 ounces of water. I already tried doing this with room temperature water (20-25°C) and the end solution came out to be 41°C and 46°C in my two trials.

Is there a certain formula I can use to calculate the temperature needed to cool the 70°C water down to my desired range?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

Is it as simple as a ratio , assuming there is no heat loss to the surroundings through the process and that the water is well mixed

if you have

4 ounces at 70
4 ounces at 20
you'll have 8 ounces at 45

by that logic you'd need water at about 3-4 degrees

Maxong091 said:
Hi,

Is it as simple as a ratio , assuming there is no heat loss to the surroundings through the process and that the water is well mixed

if you have

4 ounces at 70
4 ounces at 20
you'll have 8 ounces at 45

by that logic you'd need water at about 3-4 degrees

Great! Thank you! I knew it had to be a simple calculation, but didn't even think it'd be that simple!

Related to How much Cold Water is needed?

1. How much cold water is needed for proper hydration?

The amount of cold water needed for proper hydration varies depending on factors such as age, gender, physical activity level, and climate. However, a general guideline is to drink 8 glasses (8 ounces each) of water per day.

2. How much cold water is needed for exercise?

The amount of cold water needed for exercise depends on the intensity and duration of the exercise, as well as individual factors such as sweat rate and hydration status. It is recommended to drink 7-10 ounces of water every 10-20 minutes during exercise.

3. How much cold water is needed for weight loss?

Cold water has been shown to slightly increase metabolism, but the amount needed for weight loss is not significant. However, drinking cold water can help with weight loss by replacing high-calorie beverages and promoting a feeling of fullness. It is recommended to drink cold water throughout the day to support weight loss efforts.

4. How does the temperature of water affect how much is needed?

The temperature of water does not significantly affect the amount needed for proper hydration. However, cold water is absorbed more quickly by the body, making it a better choice for rehydration during physical activity. Additionally, drinking cold water may slightly increase metabolism.

5. Can you drink too much cold water?

Yes, it is possible to drink too much cold water. Drinking excessive amounts of water, regardless of temperature, can lead to a condition called hyponatremia, which is a low level of sodium in the blood. It is important to listen to your body's thirst cues and not force yourself to drink excessive amounts of water.