How metals set up electrode potential in water or solution verification.

In summary, the explanation explains how metals set up electrode potential in water or solution. The main cause of ionization is the first force: the oxygen atom within the water molecule is more negatively charged than the rest of the molecule. This causes the molecule to attract positively charged ions on the oxygen part of the molecule. The bonding in metals is neither ionic nor covalent (it has its own name, namely metallic bonding); the type of bonding encourages electrons to flow freely within the metal and these freely flowing electrons also act as a type of holding force for the positive ions in the metal. With this, it is more favorable for the positive metal ions to leave the surface (and attract to the oxygen part of the water molecule) rather than electrons
tasnim rahman
I found this article on the web, describing how metals set up electrode potential in water or solution. How I see it the whole explanation makes sense to me, but I am not sure if its the right explanation. Could someone verify this? :confused:

Attachments

• electroch_cells.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 406
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The explanation, I must say, is very good. If you need any clarification at any particular point just reply.

I was wondering whether the WATER AND IONIZATION(page 9):...forces of ionization... part could be considered as correct. Thanks Ali, Ahmed.

It is correct.

- The main cause of ionization is the first force:
The oxygen atom within the water molecule is more negatively charged than the rest of the molecule (there is a permanent dipole in the molecule). This causes the molecule to attract positively charged ions on the oxygen part of the molecule. The bonding in metals is neither ionic nor covalent (it has its own name, namely metallic bonding); the type of bonding encourages electrons to flow freely within the metal and these freely flowing electrons also act as a type of holding force for the positive ions in the metal (there is much more to it than what I'm explaining, but I'm just giving you the essentials). With this, it is more favorable for the positive metal ions to leave the surface (and attract to the oxygen part of the water molecule) rather than electrons.

- If the metal loses too many positive ions (the metal will have an excess of electrons), the overall effect would be to repel electrons from the surface which in turn may recombine with the metal ions in solution.
- If the metal is electron deficient, then the "holding force" is weak and metal ions are more easily removed from the surface by the oxygen side of the molecule.

- Please let me know if I answered your question (I am known to babble).

I thought similar, but wasn't sure, and needed someone to verify it. Probably the positive ions also dissolve with hydration spheres, similar to those found when ionic solids dissolve in water, with hydration energies, etc. involved. Thanks a lot for the verification, Ali, Ahmed. :smile: :cool:

Related to How metals set up electrode potential in water or solution verification.

1. How do metals set up electrode potential in water or solution verification?

Metals set up electrode potential in water or solution verification through a process called electrolysis. This involves the transfer of electrons from the metal to the water or solution, creating a potential difference between the metal and the surrounding solution. This potential difference is known as the electrode potential.

2. What is the purpose of electrode potential in water or solution verification?

The purpose of electrode potential in water or solution verification is to measure the tendency of a metal to lose or gain electrons in a particular solution. This can provide valuable information about the reactivity and corrosion resistance of a metal, and is essential in various industrial and scientific applications.

3. How is electrode potential measured in water or solution verification?

Electrode potential is measured using a device called a potentiometer or voltmeter. This device measures the potential difference between the metal electrode and a reference electrode, which is usually a stable and well-known electrode with a fixed potential. The difference between these two readings gives the electrode potential of the metal in the solution.

4. What factors can affect the electrode potential of a metal in water or solution verification?

Several factors can affect the electrode potential of a metal in water or solution verification, including the concentration and nature of the solution, temperature, and the presence of other substances or ions. Additionally, the type of metal and its surface condition can also influence the electrode potential.

5. Why is it important to verify electrode potential in water or solution verification?

Verifying electrode potential in water or solution is crucial because it provides valuable information about the reactivity and corrosion resistance of a metal in a particular environment. This information is essential for choosing the right materials for various applications and for predicting and preventing potential corrosion or degradation issues.