How many terms are needed for Fourier Isometry to be under 5%?

In summary, to verify that the Fourier Isometry holds on [−π, π], a) calculate the coefficients of the orthogonal Fourier series from the orthogonal series representation, b) calculate the sum of the squared coefficients, and c) Calculate the norm of the function. Then, they must be equal.
kbooras
Hey guys. I just started a class on Fourier Analysis and I'm having a difficult time understanding this question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Homework Statement

Verify that the Fourier Isometry holds on [−π, π] for f(t) = t. To do this, a) calculate
the coefficients of the orthogonal Fourier series from the orthogonal series representation, b)
calculate the sum of the squared coefficients, and c) Calculate the norm of the function as
∫ |f(t)|2 dt. They must be equal. How many terms in the Fourier series are necessary to have the isometry be under 5%? How many until you are under 3%, or 1%.

Homework Equations

Since f(t) = t is an odd function, you only need to calculate the sine coefficients.
bk = 1/[itex]\sqrt{}π[/itex]∫f(t)dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for bk and got (-2[itex]\sqrt{}π[/itex] / k)*cos(k π)
Then I tried solving for the sum of bk ^2 but the series diverges, so now I'm stuck. Also, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to show for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
kbooras said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for bk and got (-2[itex]\sqrt{}π[/itex] / k)*cos(k π)
Then I tried solving for the sum of bk ^2 but the series diverges, so now I'm stuck. Also, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to show for this problem.
No, the series doesn't diverge. Note that ##\cos(k\pi) = (-1)^k##. Then (assuming your formula is correct; I haven't checked),
$$b_k^2 = \frac{4\pi}{k^2}$$
and so
$$\sum b_k^2 = 4\pi \sum \frac{1}{k^2}$$
which converges. (To what is another question.)

I got it! Thank you very much for pointing that out jbunniii. I can't believe I forgot to square the k.

Now that I've shown the Fourier Series is an isometry, I need to determine how many terms in the Fourier series are necessary to have the isometry be under 5%. I think I have to use the mean squared error formula for this but I'm not quite sure. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Related to How many terms are needed for Fourier Isometry to be under 5%?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function that can be expressed as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier.

2. What is an isometry in the context of Fourier series?

In mathematics, an isometry is a transformation that preserves the distance between points. In the context of Fourier series, an isometry preserves the shape and periodicity of the function being represented.

3. How is an isometry related to the Fourier series?

The isometry property of Fourier series ensures that the transformation from the time domain to the frequency domain preserves the shape and periodicity of the original function. This allows for accurate analysis and reconstruction of the function.

4. What is the importance of isometry in Fourier series?

The isometry property of Fourier series allows for the precise representation of periodic functions and accurate analysis of their frequency components. It is essential in many fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

5. How is isometry tested in Fourier series?

Isometry in Fourier series can be tested by checking if the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions are preserved after transformation from the time domain to the frequency domain. If the coefficients remain unchanged, then the function satisfies the isometry property.