How many stars we can see from Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of stars visible from Earth, with estimates ranging from 6,000 to tens of thousands depending on the level of light pollution and the darkness of the sky. The furthest object commonly visible to the naked eye is the Andromeda Nebula, which is slightly over 2 million light years away. It is also mentioned that under dark skies, the number of stars visible can be much higher, but they are too faint to be individually resolved.
Astrodent
Greetings,
Hi, I am new member of Physics Forums.
Here is my question:
How many stars can we see from Earth?
and also If you know, How far can we see?
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
See by which means?

snorkack said:
See by which means?
I mean, In night, How many stars human can see.

You mean, naked eye?
Estimates are about 6000 over whole sky, average 3000 over the hemisphere above ground.
Furthest object commonly visible to naked eye is Andromeda Nebula, slightly over 2 million light years.

snorkack said:
You mean, naked eye?
Estimates are about 6000 over whole sky, average 3000 over the hemisphere above ground.
Furthest object commonly visible to naked eye is Andromeda Nebula, slightly over 2 million light years.
Yes, Maybe. Thank you for replying!

I don't think 6,000 is the limit. Under really dark skies, possibly tens of thousands. But most are too faint to make out. It depends on how dark the sky is. 6000 Is the average naked-eye limit, but under the rare, no light pollution desert sky, much more than that. They're just hard to make out because they're parts of the Milky Way. I don't know how many, but it varies on conditions. Average skies say 2,000. Desert Skies are uncountable.

You can see thousands upon thousands of stars in the plane of the milky way, but, they are too faint to resolve individually. It's like looking at M31. You can see it fairly easily with the naked eye. Not individual stars, just an amorphous glow from the collective luminosity of many stars.

Likes davenn
I don't know about all that, usually I can only see 1, but it's really bright.

Likes davenn
I'm guessing pretty close too.

Related to How many stars we can see from Earth?

1. How many stars can we see from Earth with the naked eye?

On a clear night, away from city lights, you can see approximately 2,500 stars with the naked eye.

2. Can we see all the stars in the universe from Earth?

No, we can only see a tiny fraction of the estimated 100 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone. The universe is estimated to contain around 2 trillion galaxies, each with billions of stars, so the total number of stars we can see from Earth is minuscule compared to the total number in the universe.

3. How far can we see stars from Earth with a telescope?

The farthest star visible with a telescope from Earth is around 4,000 light years away. This is because the brightness of stars decreases with distance, making them harder to see the farther away they are.

4. Can we see stars from Earth during the day?

Yes, we can see some stars from Earth during the day, but they are usually too faint to be seen with the naked eye. Using a telescope or binoculars, it is possible to see some of the brightest stars and planets during the day, especially when the sky is clear and the Sun is low on the horizon.

5. How do scientists estimate the number of stars visible from Earth?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the number of stars visible from Earth, such as statistical analyses of star populations and observations from telescopes and satellites. These estimates are constantly being refined as new data and technology become available.