How many materials follows TOTAL INTERNLAL REFLECTION

In summary, the conversation discusses total internal reflection and how it occurs when light passes through a material at an angle greater than the critical angle. The individual is looking to create a list of materials that exhibit total internal reflection, such as glass and acrylic. However, it is mentioned that the individual may not fully understand the concept and is advised to understand the index of refraction of the materials involved.
baba786
Hi all ,it is my first post so sorry if I make any mistake ,we all know about the total internal reflection in which when we passed light in any material with an angle greater than the critical angle then it will bound or catch inside the light,

Now I want to prepare a list of the such ,material those follows TOTAL INTERNAL REFLECTION

1.GLASS
2.ACRYLIC
NOW PLEASE TELL ME MORE MATERIALS NAME

thanks in advance

sorry for bad English

Science news on Phys.org
It appears that you have not understood the scenario in which total internal reflection occurs, which made your question rather puzzling.

Figure out http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/totint.html" it occurs (hint: look at the index of refraction of the 2 medium involved). Then see if your question here makes sense.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome to the scientific community! It's great to see someone interested in total internal reflection and materials that exhibit this phenomenon. To answer your question, there are actually many more materials that can exhibit total internal reflection besides glass and acrylic. Some other examples include:

3. Diamond
4. Water
5. Plastic (such as polycarbonate)
6. Quartz
7. Ice
8. Air (under certain conditions)
9. Sapphire
10. Ruby

There are also many more materials that can exhibit total internal reflection, depending on their refractive index and the angle at which light is entering them. I would recommend doing some research or consulting a materials science textbook for a more comprehensive list.

I hope this helps and happy exploring!

Related to How many materials follows TOTAL INTERNLAL REFLECTION

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a ray of light passes from a medium with a higher index of refraction to a medium with a lower index of refraction, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. In this case, all of the light is reflected back into the original medium instead of being refracted.

2. How is total internal reflection related to the number of materials?

Total internal reflection is related to the number of materials because it only occurs when there is a boundary between two materials with different refractive indices. If there is only one medium, there cannot be a change in the angle of incidence, and therefore total internal reflection cannot occur.

3. What types of materials exhibit total internal reflection?

Any material with a higher index of refraction can exhibit total internal reflection when it is in contact with a medium with a lower index of refraction. This can include glass, water, diamond, and many other substances.

4. Can total internal reflection occur with any angle of incidence?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light will be partially refracted and partially reflected.

5. What are some practical applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has many practical applications, including in fiber optics, where it is used to transmit light signals over long distances. It is also used in devices such as prisms, binoculars, and periscopes. In addition, total internal reflection can also be seen in everyday objects such as mirrors and glass windows.