How many different teams can be formed ...?

• Thread starter Fatima Hasan
  • Start date
In summary: So the final equation should be 5C3 * (+) or 5C2 * (*).Looking at your answer, 5C2 * (+) or 5C2 * (*) should be the final equation.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

One engineering group consists of 5 men and 7 women .
If 2 women refuse to be on the same team together , how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 3 women ?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

5 C 2 * 5 C 3 + (2 C 1 * 5 C 2) = 120
Can somebody check my answer please ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:

Homework Statement

If 2 women refuse to be on the same team together , how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women ?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

5 C 2 * 5 C 3 + (2 C 1 * 5 C 2) = 120
Can somebody check my answer please ?

If there are 7 women in the group and you need 7 women in the team then you have to pick the 2 women who won't serve together. Is there a typo?

Dick said:
and you need 7 women in the team
3 women

Fatima Hasan said:
If 2 women refuse to be on the same team together , how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women ?
Is this the original problem statement? I find it ambiguous. Does
"2 women refuse to be on the same team together"

mean
a) "no two women will work on the same team together" or
b) "two particular women refuse to work on the same team together"

I think
"how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women"

means
"how many different project teams can be formed if each team must consist of 2 men and 7 women",

but in that case under either option a) or b) the number of teams that can be formed is zero.

So perhaps
"how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women"

means
"how many teams of at least two people" can be formed from 2 men and 7 women".

(One person does not constituted a team.) In that case the question has different answers under options a) and b).

Is there a type in the problem statement?
Should "how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women"

read instead
"how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 5 men and 7 women"?

I see you have responded to @Dick while I was typing this. Could you please give us a complete and correct problem statement?

tnich said:
how many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 7 women
7 is a typo .
my question is "How many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 3 women "

Fatima Hasan said:
7 is a typo .
my question is "How many different project teams can be formed consisting of 5 men and 2 women "

Looking at your answer I would say it's "How many different project teams can be formed consisting of 2 men and 3 women" as you said in your first correction. If so your answer has correct parts. It looks like the first term is how many ways to choose the team excluding the 2 women who don't get along. The next term looks like the ways to choose the womens team with those two. But the second term doesn't have any choice of men!? It would really be best if you explained your thinking rather than me guessing it.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Looking at your answer I would say it's "How many different project teams can be formed consisting of 5 men and 3 women" as you said in your first correction. If so your answer has correct parts. It looks like the first term is how many ways to choose the team excluding the 2 women who don't get along. The next term looks like the ways to choose the womens team with those two. But the second term doesn't have any choice of men!? It would really be best if you explained your thinking rather than me guessing it.
The first term is how many ways to choose 2 men (5C2).
The next term is how many ways to choose 3 women , either choosing 3 women without the 2 women who don't get along (5C3) or (+) choosing one women of them and (*) two others (2C1 * 5C2) .

Fatima Hasan said:
The first term is how many ways to choose 2 men (5C2).
The next term is how many ways to choose 3 women , either choosing 3 women without the 2 women who don't get along (5C3) or (+) choosing one women of them and (*) two others (2C1 * 5C2) .

Right. But then BOTH of the ways of choosing the women should be multiplied by the way to choose the men, not just the first.

Likes Fatima Hasan

Related to How many different teams can be formed ...?

1. How many different teams can be formed with a group of 10 people?

The number of different teams that can be formed with a group of 10 people is 3,628,800. This can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of people and r is the number of people in each team.

2. Can the number of teams formed change if the group size increases or decreases?

Yes, the number of teams formed will change depending on the size of the group. As the group size increases, the number of teams that can be formed also increases. Similarly, as the group size decreases, the number of teams that can be formed decreases.

3. How many teams can be formed if there are 5 people in each team?

If there are 5 people in each team, the number of teams that can be formed will depend on the total number of people in the group. For example, with a group of 20 people, there will be 4 teams (20/5 = 4). With a group of 35 people, there will be 7 teams (35/5 = 7).

4. Is there a limit to the number of teams that can be formed?

Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of teams that can be formed. As long as there are enough people in the group, teams can continue to be formed. However, in practical situations, there may be limitations such as time, resources, and the purpose of forming teams.

5. How does the number of teams formed affect the overall group dynamics?

The number of teams formed can greatly impact the group dynamics. With a larger number of teams, there may be more competition and diversity of ideas. However, with a smaller number of teams, there may be more collaboration and a stronger sense of teamwork. It ultimately depends on the goals and dynamics of the group.