How Long to Solve a 9-Level Step Pyramid Tower of Hanoi?

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary: If one could chain the moves together, it would make the puzzle more difficult. 2 & 5 are special levels that don't follow each other as moves go, so they effectively make no difference in the solution. The puzzle can be solved normally, but #2 and #5 must be subtracted from the total number of moves to get the final answer.
Helios
I have thought of a 9-level "Tower of Hanoi" mutation that I call the step pyramid puzzle because it resembles a classic Maya step pyramid with a square temple house on top of a larger terraced pyramid.

9 ______
8 ______
7 ____________
6 ______________
5 ________________
4 __________________
3 ____________________
2 ______________________
1 ________________________

Solve this puzzle just like the Hanoi puzzle except for these changes,

1) Upper stories 8 and 9, which comprise a two-storied "temple house" are identically sized parts and either can be set atop of their counterpart.
2) The 2nd and the 5th terraces are special. If either of these terraces are moved, then an extra move of the next terrace pending is immeadeatly made without being counted. Levels 2 & 5 can be indicated by a different color from the rest of the levels.

It is supposed that if one move is made each day. With these rules in effect, the puzzle will take ? days to complete.

Physics news on Phys.org
Helios said:
2) The 2nd and the 5th terraces are special. If either of these terraces are moved, then an extra move of the next terrace pending is immeadeatly made without being counted. Levels 2 & 5 can be indicated by a different color from the rest of the levels.

Does this imply that you could move 2, then 5, then 2, then 5, then 3, and have it only count as a single move?

DaveE

I should have said that the puzzle should be solved in the procedure that takes the fewest number of moves. Terrace 2 & 5 would never follow each other as moves go.

Helios said:
I should have said that the puzzle should be solved in the procedure that takes the fewest number of moves. Terrace 2 & 5 would never follow each other as moves go.

I think 2 & 5 being special effectively makes no difference to the shortest solution. Effectively, you just have to solve the puzzle normally, and then subtract the number of moves with 2 & 5 from the total number of moves. For all intents and purposes, it's no more difficult than with 1 special level. However, if you CAN'T infinitely chain the special levels' moves together, it means that there may be some optimization possible by preferring to move one of the special levels "prematurely" so to speak. I'm not sure that's the case, given the limited number of moves at a given time, but it theoretically adds a degree of complexity. Hence, to add a degree of complexity, I'd suggest making #2 and #3 the special levels, and that their moves could not be chained together. But that could add a bit too much difficulty for the level of problem.

DaveE

I chose #2 & #5 because of a special preference for the number of moves the puzzle takes to complete.

Related to How Long to Solve a 9-Level Step Pyramid Tower of Hanoi?

What is the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant?

The 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant is a logic-based puzzle or mathematical game, where the objective is to move a stack of 9 disks from one peg to another. It is a variation of the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle, but with an additional level of complexity.

How does the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant work?

The game consists of 3 pegs and 9 disks of different sizes, initially stacked in ascending order on one peg. The player must move the entire stack to another peg, one disk at a time, following the rule that a larger disk can never be placed on top of a smaller disk. The ultimate goal is to move the entire stack to a different peg, using the least number of moves possible.

Is there a strategy to solve the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant?

Yes, there is a specific mathematical strategy to solve this puzzle. It involves moving the disks in a particular order, following a specific pattern. This strategy ensures that the puzzle can be solved in the minimum number of moves, which is 511. However, finding this solution requires complex calculations and is not easy to figure out on your own.

What is the significance of the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant?

The 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant, along with its classic counterpart, is a popular puzzle used in mathematical education and research. It helps in developing problem-solving skills, strategic thinking, and understanding of mathematical concepts such as recursion and induction. It also has practical applications in computer algorithms and data sorting techniques.

Are there variations of the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant?

Yes, there are many variations of the 9-level Tower of Hanoi variant, such as the 7-level Hanoi Tower, 12-level Hanoi Tower, etc. These variations differ in the number of disks and pegs used, making the puzzle more or less challenging. Some variations also have additional rules, making the puzzle more complex and requiring a different approach to solve it.