How long does the box take to reach the wall?

• Thread starter radaballer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Wall
In summary, the problem involves a 10 g box being pushed with a force of 20 Newtons across a level floor towards a wall 10 meters away. The coefficient of friction is not given, so the acceleration cannot be determined. Different approaches can be taken, such as assuming zero friction or using the kinetic coefficient to apportion part of the force to overcoming friction.
radaballer

Homework Statement

A stationary 10 g box is pushed with a force 20 Newtons across a level floor. How long will it take the box to reach a wall 10 meters away?

Homework Equations

Applied force - Friction Force?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to attempt this. Do I need to know the static and moving coefficients of friction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am unsure how to attempt this. Do I need to know the static and moving coefficients of friction?
... try it and see.

If you need the friction coefficients - are you given enough information to solve the problem?

Likes radaballer
radaballer said:

Homework Statement

A stationary 10 g box is pushed with a force 20 Newtons across a level floor. How long will it take the box to reach a wall 10 meters away?

Homework Equations

Applied force - Friction Force?

The Attempt at a Solution

If you knew the kinetic coeff. of friction you could apportion part of the 20N force to overcoming friction and the rest (if any) to accelerating the box.

You could altenatively assume zero friction if that coeff. is not given to you.

From the problem you can tell what is the initial velocity and the acceleration, right?

jove8414 said:
From the problem you can tell what is the initial velocity and the acceleration, right?
Without the coefficient of friction, the acceleration is not knowable.

Related to How long does the box take to reach the wall?

1. How is the speed of the box determined?

The speed of the box is determined by dividing the distance between the starting point and the wall by the time it takes for the box to reach the wall.

2. Does the weight of the box affect the time it takes to reach the wall?

Yes, the weight of the box can affect the time it takes to reach the wall. A heavier box will require more force to move it, and therefore may take longer to reach the wall.

3. What factors can affect the time it takes for the box to reach the wall?

The time it takes for the box to reach the wall can be affected by various factors such as the surface the box is moving on, the force applied to the box, and any obstacles in its path.

4. Is there a way to calculate the exact time it will take for the box to reach the wall?

Yes, the exact time it will take for the box to reach the wall can be calculated by using the equation t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity (speed).

5. Can the time it takes for the box to reach the wall be changed?

Yes, the time it takes for the box to reach the wall can be changed by altering the variables in the equation t = d/v. For example, increasing the speed or decreasing the distance will result in a shorter time for the box to reach the wall.