How Long Does Sound Travel Through Water and Copper?

In summary, the question involves a sound wave traveling through water and then a copper block. The calculations for the speed of sound in both media are provided, but there seems to be an error in the calculation for the speed in the copper block. The final answer is given, but it is incorrect.
madd_bm

Homework Statement

A sound wave is incident on a pool of fresh water. The sound enters the water perpendicularly and travels a distance of 0.52 m before striking a 0.18 m thick copper block lying on the bottom. The sound passes through the block, reflects from the bottom surface of the block, and returns to the top of the water along the same path. How much time elapses between when the sound enters and leaves the water

Homework Equations

for liquid:
speed = sqrt(Bulkmodulus / density) ...(this is the Adiabatic bulk modulus Bad

for solid:
v = sqrt (youngmodulus/density)

The Attempt at a Solution

liquid first:
sqrt (2.2e9/998.2071) = 1484.57 m/s ...this is the bulk modulus and density of water at ambient temperature (I had to assume it is at ambient temp, cause the equation does not say)

solid:
sqrt (1.1e11 / 8.94) ...young's modulus and density of copper

= 1.2416e10 m/s

then...

divide each distance by each individual speed. multiply each individual speed by 2 for round trip, then add the final numbers together to get:
7.04e-4

...but this is wrong. but you already know that...cause you're so friggin smart, you probably already know what I'm doing wrong.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi madd_bm,

madd_bm said:

The Attempt at a Solution

liquid first:
sqrt (2.2e9/998.2071) = 1484.57 m/s ...this is the bulk modulus and density of water at ambient temperature (I had to assume it is at ambient temp, cause the equation does not say)

solid:
sqrt (1.1e11 / 8.94) ...young's modulus and density of copper

= 1.2416e10 m/s

I think you need to recalculate this speed; I believe you have made a calculation error.

Holy Cow. You're right. not sure where that number came from.
The actual answer I got (corrected calculations): 7.038e-4 unfortunately still wrong.

Thanks.

Related to How Long Does Sound Travel Through Water and Copper?

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations in a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations cause particles in the medium to compress and expand, creating a pattern of high and low pressure that travels through the medium.

2. How does sound travel through liquids?

Sound waves can travel through liquids in a similar way to how they travel through air. The particles in the liquid vibrate and transfer energy to neighboring particles, creating a chain reaction that carries the sound wave through the liquid. However, the speed of sound in liquids is typically faster than in air due to the higher density of the medium.

3. How does sound travel through solids?

Sound waves can also travel through solids, but their movement is slightly different. In solids, the particles are closer together and can transfer energy more efficiently, allowing sound waves to travel at higher speeds. The type of material and its physical properties, such as density and elasticity, can affect the speed and direction of sound waves in solids.

4. How are sound waves affected by changes in temperature?

Temperature can affect the speed of sound waves in all three states of matter. In general, sound travels faster in warmer temperatures and slower in colder temperatures. This is because higher temperatures cause particles to vibrate more quickly, allowing sound waves to travel faster through the medium. However, there are some exceptions, such as when sound travels through water, where the temperature can affect the medium's density and change the speed of sound.

5. Can sound waves travel in a vacuum?

No, sound waves cannot travel in a vacuum. Sound waves require a medium, such as air, water, or solid materials, to travel through. In a vacuum, there are no particles for the sound waves to vibrate and transfer energy, so the sound cannot be heard. This is why astronauts cannot communicate through sound when they are in space, as there is no air for the sound waves to travel through.