How long does it take for the first hockey player to catch his opponent?

• Thread starter willingtolearn
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a hockey player chasing an opposing player who is moving at a constant speed of 12 m/s. After 3 seconds, the first player decides to chase and accelerates at 4 m/s^2. The goal is to determine how long it will take for the first player to catch up to the opposing player assuming they remain at constant speed. By equating the displacements of both players, the time can be solved for and determined.
willingtolearn

Homework Statement

A hockey player is standing on his skates on a frozen pond when an opposing player, moving with a uniform speed of 12 m/s, skates by with they puck. After 3.0s, the first player makes up his mind to chase his opponent. If he accelerates uniformly at 4.0 m/s2. How long does it take him to catch his opponent, assume the player with the puck remains in motion at constant speed)

---------------------------------
The given:
a hockey player that is moving:
speed = 12 m/s
t = (3 + t)

a first hockey player:
vo = 0
a = 4 m/s2

First i tried to find the distance after 3 sec that a moving hocker player travelled.
d = 36 m, so after 3 sec he traveled 36 m. Then i tried to find the remain distance, which i stuck at this points. Can someone help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I dealt with a similar problem recently, one thing i did was find out what variables they shared, for example if they catch up the Distance is the same. Try making equations for what you have that relate both players and then subsitute solving for t.

we don't know t and d, so we have 2 variable, how can i solve them

willingtolearn said:

Homework Statement

A hockey player is standing on his skates on a frozen pond when an opposing player, moving with a uniform speed of 12 m/s, skates by with they puck. After 3.0s, the first player makes up his mind to chase his opponent. If he accelerates uniformly at 4.0 m/s2. How long does it take him to catch his opponent, assume the player with the puck remains in motion at constant speed)

---------------------------------
The given:
a hockey player that is moving:
speed = 12 m/s
t = (3 + t)

a first hockey player:
vo = 0
a = 4 m/s2

Yes, this is exactly right. Now you just have to equate displacements. What is the displacement of the first hockey player... what is the displacement of the second... set them equal, solve for t, and you get your time.

The first hockey player has been moving for t+3 seconds... the second one for t seconds.

Is this right (1/2)*4t^2=(3+t)12

willingtolearn said:
Is this right (1/2)*4t^2=(3+t)12

Yup. Looks good to me.

Thanks learningphysics !

Related to How long does it take for the first hockey player to catch his opponent?

1. How long does it take for a plant to grow?

The time it takes for a plant to grow depends on various factors including the type of plant, environmental conditions, and care. Generally, most plants take several weeks to months to reach their full size.

2. How long does it take for medication to work?

The time it takes for medication to work depends on the type of medication, dosage, and individual response. Some medications may take a few hours to have an effect, while others may take days or weeks.

3. How long does it take for food to digest?

The time it takes for food to digest varies depending on the type of food, individual metabolism, and digestive health. On average, it takes 24 to 72 hours for food to move through the digestive system.

4. How long does it take for a bruise to heal?

The time it takes for a bruise to heal depends on the severity and location of the bruise. Generally, bruises take 1 to 2 weeks to heal, but larger or more serious bruises may take longer.

5. How long does it take for the Earth to orbit the sun?

The Earth takes approximately 365.25 days (or 1 year) to complete one orbit around the sun. However, due to leap years, it takes 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 45 seconds for the Earth to complete one full revolution around the sun.