How Is Work Calculated with a Variable Force?

In summary, a 3kg object with a velocity of 2.40m/s at the origin experiences a variable force along the x-axis. The work done by the force from x=0 to x=2m can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of Fx versus x. The kinetic energy of the object at x=2m can be found by calculating the energy at x=0 and adding the work done between x=0 and x=2m. The speed of the object at x=2m can then be determined using the equation E=1/2mv^2. The same approach can be used to find the work done on the object from x=0 to x=4m and the speed
cristina
A 3kg object moving along the x-axis has a velocity of 2.40m/s as it passes through the origin. It is acted on by a single force Fx that varies with x as shown...
a) find the work done by the force from x=0 to x = 2m
b) what is the kinetic energy of the object at x=2m?
c) what is the speed of the object at x=2m?
d) find the work done on the object from x=0 to x=4
e) what is the speed of the object at x =4m
---------------------------------------------------------------------

a) I know since the force is variable the work is equal to the area under the curve Fx-versus-x. I don't know which value of F should I put in the Work integral equation S fx dx.

b) k = 1/2mv^2 =1/2(3kg)v^2
the force on the curve at x=2 is F = 1.9N can I put it the Newton second law equation Ftotal = ma, 1.9N = 3kg x a ,
a = 1.9N/3kg = 0.63 m/s^2 and then since I got the acceleration I pluge it in v^2 = v + 2(a)(dleta x) = (2.40m/s)+2(0.63)(2m-0m)= 4.92
so v = 2.22m/s ?

d) before x=4m actually at x = 3m the curve go under the x-axis
I will integrate the part from x=0 to x=3 and then subtract from it the integration from x=3 to x = 4. but again I don't know what force should I use in the work integration fromula.

I thank you in advance of your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, without the graph of F vs. x, we're not going to be able to give you anything but general statements.

[tex]W = \int_{x_i}^{x_f} F(x) \,dx[/tex]

which can be interpreted as the area under the curve of a graph of F vs. x. You're correct in that. If you have an equation for F(x), then you're going to put that the integral and evaluate the indefinite integral between the initial x point and the final x point, which are 0 and 2m respectively for part (a).

For (b), you're working way too hard. Work is the change in energy. You're to assume that all of the energy gained (or lost) by the applied force is transformed into (or taken away from) the kinetic energy. So all you have to do is calculate the kinetic energy at the origin and then add the work done between 0 and 2m (which you did in part (a)!).

(c) Work backwards using part (b).

(d) Same as part (a), except the inital point is 0 and the final point is 4m. If you want, you can split up the integral into two separates ones, one between 0 and 2m and the other between 2m and 4m, and use part (a).

(e) As part (c).

Hope this helps. If it's still giving you trouble, we'll be able to help more if you can give us a picture of the graph or at least describe it.

cookiemonster

Is the speed wrong in c)?

k = 1/2mv^2 =1/2(3kg)v^2
the force on the curve at x=2 is F = 1.9N can I put it the Newton second law equation Ftotal = ma, 1.9N = 3kg x a ,
a = 1.9N/3kg = 0.63 m/s^2 and then since I got the acceleration I pluge it in v^2 = v + 2(a)(dleta x) = (2.40m/s)+2(0.63)(2m-0m)= 4.92
so v = 2.22m/s

I don't have an equation, If I had I would differentiat it as you said. all I have it a graph.

The problem with your approach is that the acceleration is not constant if the force is not constant, as in this case. The equation you used is valid only for constant acceleration (i.e. constant force).

As for finding the area under the curve, I can't really help you because I don't know what it looks like. If you're in high school, then I imagine you'll be able to figure it out by breaking it up into triangles and rectangles and using a bit of geometry, but who knows.

cookiemonster

I will break it into rectangles and triangles, this is a great idea actually. but I thought I can get the Force values and integrate it but force is not constant as you said. May I please ask you about the cirve at x = 3m the curve go under the x-axis so force is negative can I calculate the area of the from x=3 to x=4 and then subtact it from x=0 to x = 3 so I would have the calculated the work done on the object from x= 0 to x = 4, is it right the way I am thinking?

May you explain more on how to get the speed please?

When force is negative, then you're taking energy out of the system (not generally true, but it is in this case). Consequently, the change in energy (work) will be negative, so you'll just subtract the area below the curve from the area above the curve to get the total work.

As for the speed, calculate the kinetic energy at x = 0. The velocity at x = 0 is given. Now, the work is the change in energy. So if the energy started at the value you just calculated, then at x = 2m, it will be different by the amount of work done between x = 0 and x = 2m. Consequently, you can just add the work done to the original energy to get the energy at that point. Once you know the energy, you can calculate the velocity using E = 1/2mv^2.

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cristina
since I got the acceleration I pluge it in v^2 = v + 2(a)(dleta x) = (2.40m/s)+2(0.63)(2m-0m)= 4.92
so v = 2.22m/s ?
Just a sidenote, that equation is wrong. It's:

[tex]{v_f}^2 = {v_0}^2 + 2a\Delta x[/tex]

(Remember you are not supposed to use that equation here, I am just correcting it.)

Related to How Is Work Calculated with a Variable Force?

1. What is work done by a variable force?

The work done by a variable force is a measure of the energy transferred from one object to another due to the application of a force that varies in magnitude or direction.

2. How is work done by a variable force calculated?

The work done by a variable force is calculated by taking the integral of the force function with respect to the displacement of the object being acted upon. This can be represented by the equation W = ∫F(x)dx.

3. What is the difference between work done by a variable force and a constant force?

The main difference between work done by a variable force and a constant force is that a variable force changes in magnitude or direction, while a constant force remains the same throughout the displacement. This means that the work done by a variable force is dependent on the specific path taken, while the work done by a constant force is only dependent on the start and end points.

4. How does the direction of the variable force affect the work done?

The direction of the variable force has a significant impact on the work done. If the force is in the same direction as the displacement, then the work done will be positive. If the force is in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative. This is because work is a measure of the energy transferred, and a force in the opposite direction decreases the energy of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of work done by a variable force?

Some real-life examples of work done by a variable force include pushing or pulling a shopping cart, rowing a boat, and lifting a weight with varying amounts of force. In all of these situations, the force applied changes throughout the displacement, resulting in a variable force and thus, work done by a variable force.