How Is the Red Part of Stratton's Equation Derived from Light Pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation provided by Julius Adams Stratton, with the only part that is not understood being the "RED" part. The speaker is asking for help to derive this part and is also curious about reference 19. They mention having the book but not finding any derivation for the "RED" part. They also ask for input from Dr. Claude, who is unable to help at the moment.
mertcan
upload_2017-3-6_11-51-8.png
Hi everyone, initially I would like to put into words that this equation in my attachment is provided by Julius Adams Stratton but he do not derive the equation. The only part I do not understand and can not derive is the "RED" part. He just says it results from light pressure. So, I would like to ask : How can we reach this formula painted with RED? How do we derive this part ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-6_11-49-48.png
    upload_2017-3-6_11-49-48.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
What is reference 19?

DrClaude said:
What is reference 19?
upload_2017-3-6_12-11-16.png

DrClaude said:
What is reference 19?
Additionally, I have the book but nothing is derived...So, Any idea related to how to derive the "RED" part?

@DrClaude Could you express something about my question after I shared the reference?

mertcan said:
@DrClaude Could you express something about my question after I shared the reference?
I dinät have access to that book right now, so I can't help for the moment. Maybe someone else will chime in in the mean time.

Related to How Is the Red Part of Stratton's Equation Derived from Light Pressure?

1. What is electromagnetic force density?

Electromagnetic force density is a measure of the amount of force per unit volume that is exerted by an electric or magnetic field. It is a vector quantity and is typically represented by the symbol D.

2. How is electromagnetic force density calculated?

Electromagnetic force density is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength (E) by the magnetic field strength (H) at a specific point in space. The formula for calculating electromagnetic force density is D = ε0E x H, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What are the units of electromagnetic force density?

The units of electromagnetic force density are newtons per meter squared (N/m^2) in the SI system of measurement. In cgs units, the unit is dyne per centimeter squared (dyn/cm^2).

4. What is the significance of electromagnetic force density?

Electromagnetic force density is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism. It helps us understand the strength and direction of the forces exerted by electric and magnetic fields, which are fundamental to many natural phenomena and technological applications.

5. How does electromagnetic force density relate to energy?

Electromagnetic force density is directly related to the energy density of an electromagnetic field. The energy density (u) is equal to half the product of the electric field strength and the magnetic field strength (u = 1/2ε0E x H). This means that regions with a higher electromagnetic force density also have a higher energy density.