How is the proof of the hard limit problem related to continuity of a function?

In summary: and so on... $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ d x = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n + 1) (n + 2)} + ... + (-1)^{k}\ \frac{f^{\ (k)}(1)}{(n + 1) (n + 2) ... (n + k)} + ... + (-1)^{k}\ \frac{f^{\ (k)}(1)}{n!}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n + k}\ f^{\ (k)}(x)\ d x
Cephal
Hello everybody,

I have proved that:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{n\to+\infty} n\int_{0}^1 x^ng(x)\mathrm{d}x=g(1)\)
with \(\displaystyle g \in\mathcal{C}^0(\left[0,1\right],\mathbb{R})\).But I don't know how to prove this:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_0^1 x^n f(x)\mathrm{d}x=\dfrac{f(1)}{n}-\dfrac{f(1)+f'(1)}{n^2}+o_{+\infty}(\dfrac{1}{n^2})\)
with \(\displaystyle f\in\mathcal{C}^1(\left[0,1\right],\mathbb{R})\).
(Tongueout)
Thank you for your answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cephal said:
Hello everybody,

I have prove that:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{n\to+\infty} n\int_{0}^1 x^ng(x)\mathrm{d}x=g(1)\)
with \(\displaystyle g \in\mathcal{C}^0(\left[0,1\right],\mathbb{R})\).But I don't know how to prove this:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_0^1 x^n f(x)\mathrm{d}x=\dfrac{f(1)}{n}-\dfrac{f(1)+f'(1)}{n^2}+o_{+\infty}(\dfrac{1}{n^2})\)
(Tongueout)
Hi Cephal, and welcome to MHB!

What you know about $g$ is (1) $g$ is continuous and therefore bounded on $[0,1]$, say $|g(x)| \leqslant M$ for some $M$; (2) $g(x)$ is continuous at $x=1$ and therefore given $\varepsilon>0$ there exists $\delta>0$ such that $|g(x) - g(1)| < \varepsilon$ whenever $1- \delta \leqslant x \leqslant 1$.

Now write \(\displaystyle n\int_0^1 x^n g(x)\,dx = n\int_0^{1-\delta} x^n g(x)\,dx + n\int_{1-\delta}^1 x^n g(x)\,dx.\) Show that if $n$ is large then the first of those integrals is small and the second one is close to $g(1)$.

Thank you Opalg for your answer.

In fact I have already proved that:

with \(\displaystyle g \in\mathcal{C}^0(\left[0,1\right],\mathbb{R})\).My problem is to prove this:

Thank you for your help.

Cephal said:
Hello everybody,

I have proved that:

(Tongueout)

You can proceed with integration by parts obtaining... $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ dx = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{1}{n+1}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n + 1}\ f^{\ '} (x)\ dx =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n+1) (n+2)} + \frac{1}{(n+1) (n+2)}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n+2}\ f^{\ ''} (x)\ d x\ (1)$

Now if You consider that...

$\displaystyle \frac{f(1)}{n + 1} = \frac{f(1)}{n} - \frac{f(1)}{n^{2}} + \mathcal{o}\ (\frac{1}{n^{2}})\ (2)$

... and...

$\displaystyle \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n+1) (n+2)} = \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{n^{2}} + \mathcal{o}\ (\frac{1}{n^{2}})\ (3)$

... You arrive to the result...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
You can proceed with integration by parts obtaining... $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ dx = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{1}{n+1}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n + 1}\ f^{\ '} (x)\ dx =$

$\displaystyle = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n+1) (n+2)} + \frac{1}{(n+1) (n+2)}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n+2}\ f^{\ ''} (x)\ d x\ (1)$

Now if You consider that...

$\displaystyle \frac{f(1)}{n + 1} = \frac{f(1)}{n} - \frac{f(1)}{n^{2}} + \mathcal{o}\ (\frac{1}{n^{2}})\ (2)$

... and...

$\displaystyle \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n+1) (n+2)} = \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{n^{2}} + \mathcal{o}\ (\frac{1}{n^{2}})\ (3)$

... You arrive to the result...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you very very much \(\displaystyle \chi\sigma\).(Clapping)

Apologies for not reading the original question carefully enough. Chisigma's approach is certainly the right way to go. My only comment on it is that you are only told that \(\displaystyle f\in\mathcal{C}^1(\left[0,1\right],\mathbb{R})\). So you should not assume that $f$ is twice differentiable. Instead, use chisigma's method to integrate by parts just once, getting \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}f(x)\, dx = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{1}{n+1} \int_{0}^{1} x^{n + 1} f^{\, '} (x)\, dx. \) Then write that as \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}f(x)\, dx = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{1}{(n+1)^2}\left[(n+1) \int_{0}^{1} x^{n + 1} f^{\, '} (x)\, dx\right], \) and use the previous result about $g(x)$ to conclude that the part in the large brackets is $f^{\, '} (1) + o_{n\to\infty}(1).$

Now is my turn to apologies because I have had a little hurry in my last post, so that some essential step has been omitted. The most important step I have omitted is that continuity is not neccesary condition for integrability of a function but is necessary condition for univocal definition of a function in a closed interval. Now if we write again...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ d x = \frac{f(1)}{n+1} - \frac{f^{\ '}(1)}{(n + 1) (n + 2)} + \frac{1}{(n+1) (n+2)}\ \int_{0}^{1} x^{n+2}
f^{\ ''}(x)\ dx\ (1)$

... taking into account the relations...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n + 1} = \frac{1}{n}\ (1 - \frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{n^{2}} - ...)\ (2)$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n+2} = \frac{1}{n}\ (1 - \frac{2}{n} + \frac{4}{n^{2}} - ...)\ (3)$

all that we can say is...

a) if f(*) is continuous in [0,1] then f(*) is 'well defined' in x=1 and is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ dx = \frac{f(1)}{n} + \mathcal {o}\ (\frac{1}{n})\ (4)$

b) if f(*) and its derivative are continuous in [0,1] then f(*) and its derivative are 'well defined' in x=1 and is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^{n}\ f(x)\ dx = \frac{f(1)}{n} - \frac{f(1) + f^{\ '}(1)}{n^{2}} + \mathcal {o}\ (\frac{1}{n^{2}})\ (5)$

Of course if all the derivatives of f(x) in x=1 are 'well defined', then we can extend the expansion without limits...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How is the proof of the hard limit problem related to continuity of a function?

1. What is a hard limit proof problem?

A hard limit proof problem is a mathematical problem that involves proving the existence of a limit that is difficult to solve using traditional methods. These problems typically require advanced mathematical techniques and can be challenging to solve.

2. How do you approach a hard limit proof problem?

The approach to solving a hard limit proof problem will vary depending on the specific problem and the mathematical tools available. However, some common strategies include using limit theorems, manipulating the function algebraically, or using more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or Taylor series.

3. What are some common examples of hard limit proof problems?

Examples of hard limit proof problems include finding the limit of a function involving trigonometric or logarithmic functions, evaluating indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity, and proving the existence of limits for sequences or series.

4. Why are hard limit proof problems important?

Hard limit proof problems are important because they challenge our understanding of mathematical concepts and push us to think critically and creatively. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving a hard limit proof problem?

Some tips for solving a hard limit proof problem include carefully reading the problem and identifying any given information, understanding the properties and rules for limits, breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills.