How Is the Focal Length of an Ocular Determined in an Astronomical Telescope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Huygens ocular in an astronomical telescope and the need to find the position of the exit pupil and the focal length of the ocular. The exit pupil is determined to be 3cm to the right of the second lens in the ocular, based on the image created by the objective lens. The focal length of the ocular is yet to be determined.
SwaggerJohn
A Huygens ocular is constructed of two thin lenses of focal lengths 10cm and 5cm respectively, separated by 7.5cm. The ocular is used in an astronomical telescope whose objective is 30cm to the left of the front lens of the ocular.

I need to find the position of the exit pupil, and then find the focal length of the ocular.

OK so I understand how to find the exit pupil and here is my idea:

Basically the exit pupil will be located where the image of the objective lens is created. So I found where the image of the objective lens will be created by Huygens ocular.

I used the following equation to do this: (x)(x') = f^2

where x is the distance of the object from the 2nd focal point of the thin lens, x' is the distance of the image formed measured from the 1st focal point of the thins lens, and f is the focal length of the thin lens.

So the image from the first lens is the object for the 2nd and eventually this gives that the exit pupil is 3cm to the right of the 2nd lens in the ocular.

Any ideas how to find the focal length of the ocular now?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just read the sticky. I know this looks like a homework question but its not, but I guess it should have been posted in the other board. I don't have the ability to move it or I would. Sorry about that.

To find the focal length of the ocular, we can use the thin lens equation:

1/f = 1/do + 1/di

Where f is the focal length, do is the distance of the object from the lens, and di is the distance of the image from the lens. In this case, the distance of the object from the ocular is 7.5cm and the distance of the image from the ocular is 30cm. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

1/f = 1/7.5 + 1/30

Solving for f, we get a focal length of approximately 6.43cm. This means that the ocular acts as a magnifying glass, with a magnification of approximately 4.67x (30cm/6.43cm).

Related to How Is the Focal Length of an Ocular Determined in an Astronomical Telescope?

What is an Astronomical Telescope?

An Astronomical Telescope is a scientific instrument used to observe and study objects in the night sky, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

What are the main components of an Astronomical Telescope?

The main components of an Astronomical Telescope include the objective lens or mirror, the eyepiece, the mount, and the focusing mechanism. These components work together to gather and magnify light from distant objects in the sky.

What are the different types of Astronomical Telescopes?

There are three main types of Astronomical Telescopes, namely refracting telescopes, reflecting telescopes, and catadioptric telescopes. Each type uses different optics to collect and focus light, resulting in varying levels of magnification and image clarity.

How do you choose the right Astronomical Telescope?

The right Astronomical Telescope will depend on your needs and budget. Factors to consider include the type of telescope, aperture size, focal length, and mount type. It is essential to do some research and consult with experts before making a purchase.

What can you see with an Astronomical Telescope?

With an Astronomical Telescope, you can see a variety of celestial objects, including planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. The level of detail and clarity of these objects will depend on the type and quality of the telescope, as well as atmospheric conditions and the observer's experience.